Objectivism Online Forum

US Midterm Elections 2010

Rate this topic

Since each Objectivist seems to give a different answer when this topic is broached, I thought a thread would be nice where an individual gives his answer as to who he is voting for, and a brief (or not), but detailed, reasoned explanation why. I think it can at least be good food for thought, and I personally am curious about others' explanations.

I see this thread as a go-to for an individual's reasoning, not as a place to debate the reasons (certainly feel free to start a thread about any reasoning that follows).

So, I'll start. If voting that day conveniently meshes with my work schedule (time and location), I will show up and vote Republican, though I personally despise both the Republican and Democratic parties, and I couldn't tell you if either will improve, ever. Since Obama has had so much success implementing his policies, I would like to see a kind of gridlock - as much as can be expected from Republicans who more-or-less have the same goals as Obama.

If the Republicans had everything, same as has been shown with the Democrats, I am sure more horrible policies would be passed than if they had to at least put on the show of opposing one another.

How long can something like that last? I don't know, at least two years? It's all so disheartening. In the meantime I will continue to educate myself and throw good ideas "out there" (internet, friends, family, facebook) in whatever way I think is effective, and hope for the best. I'm not sure what else there is to do at this point but "the best I can."

What I feel like doing is marching on Washington, but I think few would listen or care; observe the national news.

I voted almost entirely Republican, except for maybe one or two folks running as Independent or Constitution Party who actually have a strong chance of winning due to local Tea Party endorsement, and who were clearly less career politicians than the Republican choices. Also the Tea Parties that I've been to in Ohio are not as vocally religious as they may be in other states, and attendees are familiar with Rand and open to her ideas.

Gridlock is the only thing that is going to prevent (or at least delay) further destruction.

Edited by brian0918

I too, hope for the Republicans, and likewise will refrain from voting again at this point. I cannot bring myself to sanction via going to the polls as if to say there is something worth voting for. I may have to attend however, on the point that there is a referendum to have a constitutional convention here in Michigan. There is a mechanism in place already to alter the constitution of Michigan. I shudder to think what the 'stinky thinking skills' instilled in many of those who would have a hand in carte blanche rewriting a document that reaches back to the formulation of these united states could bring about.

I'll be going for the Republicans, much as others here I see gridlock as a stop-gap until genuine action, read that repeal, of Obama's agenda can be achieved. I think the system works best when there are opposing parties in the Executive and Legislative branches, to work as a check one to the other - as was intended. It is up to the electorate to hold them to account over the next cycle, which, hopefully, the Tea Party movement will do after this election. We got where we are now by complacency.

Edited by Maximus

I voted straight Republican, with the exception of 2 local offices (the Republican candidates are so bad that I refuse to support them). I guess it's because I'm really hoping the Tea Party's influence will shine through and get the GOP to repeal Obamacare and oppose him. I'm probably being way too optimistic, but that's the only way I could bring myself to vote.

I would recommend folks do not abstain from voting - quite a lot of joy can be gotten simply from nullifying the vote of a liberal... even if you're just deluding yourself in believing that your selection is not also pro-statism. ;)

Edited by brian0918

I live in Iowa. I went over the details of all of the candidates about a week ago. I can vote on Tuesday.

Governor-Eric Cooper-Libertarian(also Culver gets a special f-u from me over the bus thing, fascist),

Senate: Roxanne Conlin-D,

Congress:

1st District-Rob Petsche-Libertarian

2nd District-Gary Sicard-Libertarian

3rd District-Leonard Boswell-Democrat

4th District-Tom Latham-Republican

5th District-Matt Campbell-Democrat

I am extremely, extremely, against single-party voting, regardless of the circumstances.

Edited by CapitalistSwine

On a federal level my votes will reflect my extreme dissatisfaction with the expansion of government; I'll be voting for Republicans who say they are for smaller government. On a state level, I will be voting for Republicans in the hopes that Wisconsin will finally allow the concealed carry of deadly weapons.

Edited by FeatherFall

You have a State Board of Equalization!? What in the crap does that do? California is further gone than I thought! :o

You'de be surprised how many places have a Board of Equalization now. Some states are pushing for "Equalization of Care" to prevent people who pay for healthcare from getting better healthcare than people on the state dole.

As to my votes.. I'm voting for government stalemate. It is what our country was built on- our government was never meant to do so much (and so poorly at that). For me, where I live, that meant voting a straight Republican ticket which I've never done before.

One significant thing I've noted about this election with door to door canvassers-

I have a fence surrounding my house that is large, high and has posted at intervals No Trespassing, No Soliciting and Private Property signs. The small front walkway gate is not locked as I need to allow for incoming packages.

Democrat candidate canvassers ignore the signs and walk right in.

Not one Republican canvasser has ever entered my property.

That says as much as I need to know for this election.

Maryland: Governor - Republican

All other offices - Libertarian where able, Republican otherwise. Where only one candidate existed, no vote.

Effectively - against all incumbents.

And no to 7 different initiatives where the state wanted to borrow money to do something it had no business doing. (Two strikes - 1: not their job; 2: borrowing to do it)

Well that was therapeutic, although where I live there was only one really noxious Obamapuke to vote against, and that is Senator Bennett (CO).

I voted against any tax and in favor of three tax limitation amendments that (to hear the government talk) are supposed to cause the Antichrist to start his rampage.

I only had one actual election to vote for, and I voted for the Republican. In part because I wanted to see the Democrats lose the house, but also because my current representative is a 10-term Democrat, and there is nothing I hate more than a career politician.

I took Peikoff's advice and voted Republican. One of the candidates I voted for, Doug Cloud, is a Tea Partier who is not outwardly religious and is a fan of Ayn Rand (although Reagan said the same thing, so I certainly have my reservations). I don't think I'm going to tell anyone I voted.

Edited by BRG253