Objectivism Online Forum

Your favourite movie lines

Rate this topic

Altan

Not sure if there's a topic like this one (a quick search revealed nothing)

One of my favourite is from Dr Zhivago (amazing movie):

Dr. Zhivago: You have no right to call me from work.

Communist Political Officer: -As a Soviet Deputy, l-- -

Dr. Zhivago: That gives you power, not the right.

Also, in the last released Star Wars movie, when Palpatine declares the creation of the 'Galactic Empire', Padme says:

So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause.

Oh there are so many good ones. The first one that comes to mind is from Iron Man 2:

Senator Stern: My priority is to get the Iron Man weapon turned over to the people of the United States of America.

Tony Stark: Well, you can forget it. I am Iron Man. The suit and I are one. To turn over the Iron Man suit would be to turn over myself, which is tantamount to indentured servitude or prostitution, depending on what state you're in. You can't have it.

Tony Stark: Because I'm your nuclear deterrent. It's working. We're safe. America is secure. You want my property? You can't have it. But I did you a big favor.

[stands and turns to face the Senate]

Tony Stark: I've successfully privatized world peace. What more do you want?

William Wallace in Braveheart: "Freedom!!!"

John Keating in Dead Poets Society: "Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."

Todd Anderson in Dead Poets Society: "Oh Captain! My Captain!"

John Keating in Dead Poets Society: "Thank you, boys."

From High Noon:

"You're a good looking boy, you have big broad shoulders, but he is a man. It takes more than big broad shoulders to make a man, Harvey, and you have a long way to go. You know something? I don't think you will ever make it."

-Helen Ramirez to Harvey Pell, contrasting Harvey to the hero, Marshal Will Kane

The following two dialogues from The Wrath of Khan show why James Kirk is one of my favorite movie characters of all time:

[After allowing the simulated Enterprise to be destroyed.]

Saavik: "Permission to speak freely, sir?"

Kirk: "Granted."

Saavik: "I do not believe this was a fair test of my command abilities."

Kirk: "And why not?"

Saavik: "Because... there was no way to win."

Kirk: "A no-win situation is a possibility every commander may face. Has that never occurred to you?"

Saavik: "No sir, it has not."

Kirk: "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life, wouldn't you say?"

Saavik: "As I indicated, Admiral, that thought had not occurred to me."

Kirk: "Well, now you have something new to think about. Carry on."

Later:

Saavik: "Admiral, may I ask you a question?"

Kirk: "What's on your mind, Lieutenant?"

Saavik: "The Kobayashi Maru, sir."

Kirk: "Are you asking me if we're playing out that scenario now?"

Saavik: "On the test, sir. Will you tell me what you did? I would really like to know."

McCoy: "Lieutenant, you are looking at the only Starfleet cadet who ever beat the no-win scenario."

Saavik: "How?"

Kirk: "I reprogrammed the simulation so it was possible to rescue the ship."

Saavik: "What?"

David Marcus: "He cheated."

Kirk: "I changed the conditions of the test. I got a commendation for original thinking. I don't like to lose."

Saavik: "Then you never faced that situation. Faced death."

Kirk: "I don't believe in the no-win scenario."

"I was just contemplating the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?'" - Chris Knight - Real Genius

Too many great one-liners in that one to pick a favorite. Laszlo alone could keep us laughing for a while. Remember the frito lay enter and win sweepstakes?

One of my favorites is from American History X, when one of the main characters (Derek Vinyard, played by Edward Norton) is in jail after committing a hate crime. The principal of his former high school (Bob Sweeney, played by Avery Brooks) comes to visit him and talk to him after something happened in jail and he's injured.

Bob Sweeney: There was a moment, when I used to blame everything and everyone for all the pain and suffering and vile things that happened to me, that I saw happen to my people. Used to blame everybody. Blamed white people, blamed society, blamed God. I didn't get no answers 'cause I was asking the wrong questions. You have to ask the right questions.

Derek Vinyard: Like what?

Bob Sweeney: Has anything you've done made your life better?

I have so many, it's hard to know where to begin. I'll start with a couple of inspiring ones.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, after the tyrannical Nurse Ratched catches Billy Bibbet in bed with a woman:

Billy: Um, I can explain everything.

Ratched: Please do, Billy. Explain everything.

Billy: Ev-ev-everything?

Ratched: Aren't you ashamed

Billy (not stuttering, for the first time in the movie): No, I'm not.

Gattaca:

"You wanna know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back."

And I'll end with a few that just make me smile.

The Departed, when Leonardo DiCaprio is arresting crooked cop, Matt Damon:

Damon: Go ahead, shoot a cop, Einstein. Watch what happens.

DiCaprio: What would happen is this bullet would go right through your fuckin' head!

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

"But in the Latin alphabet...Jehova begins with an I!"

Austin Powers:

"Allow myself to introduce...myself.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (yes, this is entirely from memory):

Man1: Halt! Who goes there?

Arthur: It is I, Arthur, son of Uther Pendragon from the castle of Camelot. King of the Britons! Defeater of the Saxons! Sovereign of all England.

Man 1: Pull the other one!

Arthur: I am! And this is my trusty servant, Patsy. We have ridden the length and breadth of the land in search of knights who will join me in my court at Camelot. I must speak with your lord and master!

Man 1: What? Ridden on a horse?

Arthur: Yes.

Man 1: You're using coconuts.

Arthur: What?

Man1: You've got two empty halves of coconut, and you're bangin' 'em together!

Arthur: So? We have ridden since the snows of winter, cover this land. Through the Kingdom of Mercea, through...

Man1: Where'd you get the coconuts?

Arthur: We found them!

Man1: Found them? In Mercea? The coconut's tropical!

Arthur: What do you mean?

Man1: Well, this is a temperate zone!

Arthur: The swallow may fly south with the sun, or the house martin or the plummer may seek warmer climes in winter. Yet, these are not strangers to our land.

Man1: Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Arthur: Not at all. They could be carried.

Man1: What, a swallow, carrying a coconut?

Arthur: It could grip it by the husk!

Man1: It's not a question of where he grips it. It's a simple question of weight ratios. A 5 ounce bird could not carry a 1 pound coconut!

Arthur: Well it doesn't matter! Will you go and tell your master that Arthur from the court of Camelot is here?

Man1: Listen. In order to maintain airspeed velocity, a swallow needs to beat 'is wings 43 times every second. Right?

Arthur: Please!

Man1: Am I right?

Arthur: I'm not interested!

Man2: It could be carried by an African swallow?

Man1: Oh yeah, an African swallow maybe, but not a European swallow. That's my point.

Man2: Oh yeah, I agree with that.

Arthur: Will you ask your master if he wants to join my court at Camelot?!

Man1: But then, of course, African swallows are not migratory, so they couldn't bring a coconut here anyway.

Man2: Oh yeah.

Man1: Wait a minute! Supposing 2 swallows carried it together?

Man2: No, they'd have to have it on a line!

Man1: Well, simple. They'll just use a standard creeper.

Man2: What, held under the dorsal guiding feathers?

Man1: Well, why not?

Edited by The Wrath

Nice ones people.

I was reminded of the movie 'Tron' and how that had some really funny and good lines:

Master Control Program: You're getting brutal, Sark. Brutal and needlessly sadistic.

Sark: Thank you, Master Control.

Kevin Flynn: Who's that guy?

Warrior #1: That's Tron. He fights for the Users.

Crom: Look. This... is all a mistake. I'm just a compound interest program. I work at a savings and loan! I can't play these video games!

Guard: Sure you can, pal. Look like a natural athlete if I ever saw one.

Crom: Who, me? Are you kidding? No, I run out to check on T-bill rates, I get outta breath. Hey, look, you guys are gonna make my user, Mr. Henderson, very angry. He's a full-branch manager.

Guard: Great. Another religious nut.

Master Control Program: There's a 68.71% chance you're right.

Ed Dillinger: Cute!

• 1 month later...

One of my favorite exchanges is the scene atop of the dam in "The Fugitive." The words aren't anything special, it's the acting from both Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones that makes it work:

Dr. Kimble: I didn't kill my wife!

Gerard: I don't care.

And of course there's the scene in Casablanca where Renault closes down Rick's.

Rick: How can you close me up? On what grounds?

Captain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!

[a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]

Croupier: Your winnings, sir.

Captain Renault: [sotto voce] Oh, thank you very much.

[aloud]

Captain Renault: Everybody out at once!

If we admit TV, a good one is from Sheldon Cooper in The Big Bang Theory: "I did not try. I succeeded."