Objectivism Online Forum

Recommendations for Objectivist Friendly Locations

Rate this topic

Gramlich

I'm a senior Mechanical Engineering student that will be graduating this May, and I was wondering whether anyone had suggestions as to the best location to move to, preferably within the United States. I've lived in Maine my whole life, so I'm ready to find any change of pace or scenery.

Locations I'm particularly considering are ones that have a high concentration of Objectivists, are relatively economically and socially free, particularly economically, and are fairly cheap to live in with plentiful jobs about, particularly in engineering. The latter consideration I can find on my own, so I'm mostly curious about the former two.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks

I'll bet there are lots of objectivists, or former objectivists in Keene, New Hampshire. I doubt there would be many jobs, but in terms of a community of activists, that's about the best you'll find.

Irvine, California is where the Ayn Rand Institute is. There'd be jobs there, and a warm climate to boot.

Washington D.C. has David Kelley's objectivist group, The Atlas Society.

New York City would probably have lots just by the law of averages.

Edited by James Bond

I can't help to ask this, please don't take it in a personal way, I don't know you or care about you, but I'm intrigued: What do you understand for Objectivism, that you'd consider yourself one and still ask such a question?

If you want to get to know me, you're free to throw me questions on my profile. Else, I don't really have any desire to recap my complete knowledge of Objectivism or go into depth whether I consider myself an Objectivist or not. I find nothing wrong with my question.

Now, if you have any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them. :)

Sorry, actually my question should have been in pm. To clarify I meant, isn't The Fountainhead fresh in your mind? or Atlas? ("there were men who took first steps down new roads armed with nothing but their own vision").

I really didn't mean to "hurt your feelings", which I'm not sure I have, but it was a little hard for me to concile the asking for advice with making your own way. It is Peter Keating who always ask everybody else what to do, and Howard who can't understand it. But, my mistake, I did not discriminate obliterating selflessness with simple asking for advice, and I took it on you, or rather, on you question.

Maybe it was the part of "abudant jobs" that just made me lose it.

I guess if you don't wanna leave American Territory, you could try the Marianas Islands, or Guam. It's almost Tax-Free, climate and surrounding waters are delicious, and there's a lot of business going on both in manufacturing plants (private sector) and maybe in large cool things like OTEC, (semi-private sector); and to top that the military bases. All those require mechanical engineers.

Sorry, actually my question should have been in pm. To clarify I meant, isn't The Fountainhead fresh in your mind? or Atlas? ("there were men who took first steps down new roads armed with nothing but their own vision").

Are you suggesting that it is wrong for the OP to wish to be around a group of people with whom he agrees and would presumably hold in high regard as a result? That's the impression I'm getting, but I don't know if that's implied or inferred.

After all - if OP's chosen path in life doesn't require him to be somewhere specific, why not be around a community one can respect?