Objectivism Online Forum

Mind reading game controller

Rate this topic

mynameisyang

http://www.nordicsemi.com/index.cfm?obj=document&act=display&doc=425

This is incredible, although it still sound like science fiction, its actually been developed for sometime. This controller has the potential to solve many problems related to 3D navigation and maneuver on games and many other software. It will sent 360 Kinetic back to stone age.

Edited by mynameisyang

That's incredible.

Now I'm sure there is plenty of room for development and having more advanced commands, however this isn't so much something in development as much as all that's needed is more programs to be made for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M89M1VUc-ZQ&feature=related

shows the headset being used for a game. And this is more than 2 years ago.

Edited by Eiuol

I remember being amazed by that video a couple of years ago, but looking into it further showed that it's not quite what it's made out to be. It's ingenious to say the least, but a replacement for the WiiMote and Kinect it is not. Still, it's a glimpse at how human's will interface with technology in the future, and it's really exciting.

Awesome! This would improve my gaming ability and scores immensely. I only have the use of my right thumb (and full left hand) due to some neurological damage, so I dont generally play FPS games on consoles, and I shy away from FPS on computer. The games I do play (WoW, SC2) are easily playable with a mouse and a few key clicks.

Judging that I'm generally on par with other average players, this device could possibly bump me up quite a bit. Can't wait!

I think this controller will adapt in utility software before games, applications like 3D modeling, air plane, and construction vehicles. It can also help people to control mechanical replacement of there arm or legs. On an extreme case, this deceive can even change the way we do programming and translation. Gaming application is for sure, it will come sooner or later.

I dont think that it will "change the way we do programming". Programming is largely a process of abstracting a problem into an abstract form which a compiler / interpreter will understand and clearly this device is not really going to be a lot of use there. It might mean that we do not have to sit there hacking away at a keyboard as much , but it is not going to fundamentally alter the "way we do" programming. At best it means that the process of converting the solution one thinks of to a form the compiler / interpreter understands is perhaps easier if such devices can somehow translate brainwaves into the intended instructions, which is highly dubious and a long, long way off yet.

I've been following Neurosky and the research of Tan Lee for about three years now. This is the most likely imminent advancement that will make a difference in our lives. The machine relies on something like an EEG machine that reads brainwaves instead of buttons. The greatest difficulty with the design is that our brainwaves are continuous and have ranges. It's easiest to set up the machine to receive exact frequencies so much of the recent research has been about getting it to work at a wide range of frequencies. Another obstacle is the interference from other devices, but wires reduce this a lot.