Objectivism Online Forum

Star Wars Fans Prepare

Rate this topic

Al Kufr

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the DVD set of Star Wars Trilogy. It is an interesting set since Lucas has improved upon the movies again. Jabba looks different, and better, and the ending in Jedi is slightly different. This might be get me into a bit of trouble but I like the new improvements upon the Star Wars Movies. Anyway I can't wait until the new movie comes out. :)

Ash

I also received the trilogy DVD set. Generally, I've not liked the "improvements" - I'm of the opinion that art should not "evolve" after it has been released by its creator (yes, even if the creator is the one doing the evolving).

However, I would have welcome a demuppetfication of the final movie. Teddy Bears just don't make convincing war heroes. My five-year-old daughter is simply entranced by the entire triology - but I don't need her to develop a fear of stuffed animals (well, at least not yet).

• 2 weeks later...
Here's hoping it doesn't suck ass like the last two.

I thought I was the only one. I can't decide if it was that abomination Jar Jar Binks, or the meandering, flatlining plots, the annoying kid Anakin, or what. Although I did enjoy #2 more than #1.

I thought I was the only one. I can't decide if it was that abomination Jar Jar Binks, or the meandering, flatlining plots, the annoying kid Anakin, or what. Although I did enjoy #2 more than #1.

Yeah, I would agree with that. But for some reason, I'm still excited about seeing the third. It's probably because it's going to have Darth Vader all over the place...

Yeah, I would agree with that. But for some reason, I'm still excited about seeing the third. It's probably because it's going to have Darth Vader all over the place...

That, and the first two films only gave out about thirty minutes total of real storyline that would link it to the original Star Wars. This third one, unless Lucas just really has lost his marbles, should be pure, tight storyline.

When you think of the original intention of the films you realize how many feet of it Mr. Lucas has wasted up to this final one. Note: comments exclude the original three films (minus Ewoks-burn them too).

That, and the first two films only gave out about thirty minutes total of real storyline that would link it to the original Star Wars. This third one, unless Lucas just really has lost his marbles, should be pure, tight storyline.

When you think of the original intention of the films you realize how many feet of it Mr. Lucas has wasted up to this final one. Note: comments exclude the original three films (minus Ewoks-burn them too).

I once carefully watched Phantom Menace and figured out that Jar Jar could be edited out of the movie without seriously affecting the plot. I hear that somewhere on the internet, someone did it. It's called "the phanton edit," I think.

Plus, if you look at the extras on the "menace" DVD, you'll see that the kid they rejected for Anakin was the FAR better choice. Not like the moppish ham they actually cast. That kid made me want to barf.

Since Clone Wars was better than the first one in such a way as to indicate that Lucas has figured out what was wrong, then the third should be as you say: pure, tight storyline.

At least, I bloody hope so.

Personally, I consider the new trilogy to be the greatest "dropped ball" in film history. Never before have I been so excited for a movie (Phantom Menace), only to be kicked in the stomach for the trouble. George Lucas may be a good producer, but a good director he is not. Was Natalie Portman given any help with her role? I mean aside from, "Speak in a monotone voice"?

Georgie, you can have all the fancy parlor tricks in the world at your command...but if there isn't anything backing it up...all you've got is a really expensive video game. And not even a very good video game at that.

I'm going to see the last of the trilogy. But its as a man going to see the last breath of a sick friend.

• 2 weeks later...
Georgie, you can have all the fancy parlor tricks in the world at your command...but if there isn't anything backing it up...all you've got is a really expensive video game. And not even a very good video game at that.

hey now, Knights of the old Republic II has ten times the story of both Phantom menace and Attack of the clones. C'mon, your teacher and mentor gives you advice that sounds like she's been reading way too much Nietzsche. Not that Nietzsche is the best alternative, it is certainly better than altruism.