Objectivism Online Forum

Ron Paul proposes an end to the TSA madness

Rate this topic

John Link

If the proposal is "end the TSA", then Ron Paul is absolutely correct. A private security agency designed to screen passengers is far superior to a government agency trying to prevent crime. A private agency employing some of the security principles developed by the Israelis -- essentially profiling and questioning -- would be more effective, though not perfect and more is required. Unfortunately he is wrong about everything else he says in the video and I don't think we would be any safer (in fact I think we would be less safe) if Ron Paul had his way.

In the video Ron Paul says "this is not what makes us safer" and I would ask him: "What would make us safer?" Typical of a Libertarian he says "lock[ing] the door and [putting] a gun in the cockpit" is what will make us safer. And I don't think this is an isolated issue, this is his philosophy. The thing that would make us safer is identifying and destroying the enemy. But I don't think Ron Paul has correctly identified the enemy: he thinks it is OUR fault that the Islamists are attacking us. It is our Imperialistic tendencies which has stirred the hornet's nest, according to him -- which is not only factually wrong but also philosophically wrong as far as the "tendencies" of the US.

He is not for destroying Iran, he would rather we hunker down in a defensive position, "lock the door" and ultimately become an anarchistic society. After all "private property should be protected by private individuals". This one proposal may make us safer and I would support it, but ultimately Ron Paul's prescriptions and arguments only serve to make us less safe.

If the proposal is "end the TSA", then Ron Paul is absolutely correct.

The proposal is NOT "end the TSA". The text of H.R. 4616 can be found here: http://www.pogowasright.org/?p=17292

Please let's not turn this thread into a long discussion about Ron Paul that comes to the conclusion that Ron Paul is not an Objectivist and therefore any true Objectivist must not support or associate himself with anything that Ron Paul proposes. As I've written on my facebook page, "My friends (Facebook and otherwise) and I have varying opinions about Obamacare, taxes, the expansion of the money supply, whether there is an afterlife, and a great many other things. But despite these differences I think we can all agree that the TSA has run amok. Let's put an end to the madness!".

John Link

OK, well the bill is short enough that I think we can quote it in its entirety and then I'll comment on it:

A BILL

To ensure that certain Federal employees cannot hide behind immunity.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the ‘‘American Traveller Dignity Act of 2010’’.

SEC. 2. NO IMMUNITY FOR CERTAIN AIRPORT SCREENING METHODS.

No law of the United States shall be construed to confer any immunity for a Federal employee or agency or any individual or entity that receives Federal funds, who subjects an individual to any physical contact (including contact with any clothing the individual is wearing), x-rays, or millimeter waves, or aids in the creation of or views a representation of any part of a individual’s body covered by clothing as a condition for such individual to be in an airport or to fly in an aircraft. The preceding sentence shall apply even if the individual or the individual’s parent, guardian, or any other individual gives consent.

I think you guys need to remember that politicians are not philosophers. This bill is a game to bate the Federal Government. Obviously this bill will not pass, as Boehner himself skipped the screening. It is simply designed to stir up the population and force the government to act in some way.

I think you guys need to remember that politicians are not philosophers. This bill is a game to bate the Federal Government. Obviously this bill will not pass, as Boehner himself skipped the screening. It is simply designed to stir up the population and force the government to act in some way.

Exactly!

Exactly!

Wait, I'm confused, do you guys support this bill or not? And in what way do you want "the government to act" if it is in some way different than this bill proposes. And do you think that politicians should be philosophers or not?

Wait, I'm confused, do you guys support this bill or not? And in what way do you want "the government to act" if it is in some way different than this bill proposes. And do you think that politicians should be philosophers or not?

I support the bill in the sense that it will rile up the population and bate the politicians. This is not the glorious Roman Senate--these are not men of moral stature. They are modern-day politicians, and the only way to pluck them out of their complacency is to "stir the hornets nest" so to speak.

And no, politicians should never be philosophers (or vice versa). Save that for Plato and Woodrow Wilson.