Objectivism Online Forum

Chronic Indecision

Rate this topic

chronic indecision: A constantly reocurring or persistent inability to make up one's mind; perpetual doubt concerning two or more possible alternatives or courses of action.

______

I am in big trouble. For the last year I have suffered from a progressively worsening state of chronic indecision which last left me psychologically paralyzed and unable to act. The major reasons for this are uncertainty about the future and the fact that, among all my options, I don't see any that are very good (the situation seems quite bleak no matter what what I do). It's not that the situation is necessarily hopeless, there may well be a course of action that will be successful, but I am unable to see what it is. As a result of my inability to make up my mind, I have missed many opportunities and destroyed things that I've had going for me. This problem is crippling and I am not going to make it if I don't get over it soon. I don't expect anyone here to solve my problems for me and tell me what I ought to do with my life, but in general, how should one address such a problem?

Although there may be some helpful suggestions from the members of the forum, it sounds like you need to talk to a professional. Indecision and hopelessness that are "crippling" should really be treated face-to-face. I promise you, the world is not a completely dark place. Getting some input from another living, breathing person can make a world of difference.

This would seem to be in many ways a trust issue.

Is it that you don't trust yourself or that you don't trust others?

That is to say- do you not trust your ability to make correct choices or is your distrust of others such that you believe making correct choices will not matter in a world where others have so much control over you?