Objectivism Online Forum

Is it moral to accept a government funded scientific research job?

Rate this topic

Edwin

In Atlas Shrugged, Robert Stadler is considered the most evil person because he sold his soul (and brains) in service of a state funded scientific research job.

I am in a similar position. Although the institute I work for also does research for for-profit private companies, my salary mostly comes from taxes paid by other people.

But there is no other place I can do cutting edge research and I get bored easily with non-cutting-edge non-mind-boggling sort of work.

Should I accept it?

In Atlas Shrugged, Robert Stadler is considered the most evil person because he sold his soul (and brains) in service of a state funded scientific research job.

His immorality did not come from working for a public institute. He turned into a looter-politician and he believed in using governmental force to advance the cause of science.

Stadler is not evil because most of the money he earns comes from the state.

Is Roark depicted as evil, even though he obtains funding from otherwise despicable firms like Guy Francon's or Snyte's? He isn't. He gained some value from those jobs, and knew that working at these firms was a stepping stone to a position he actually wanted.

Rearden says this to Dagny after she meets with Stadler: "And that's what Dr. Stadler needed from you--it was you who had to act as if he were a great man who had never tried to destroy your rail and my metal. I don't know what it is they think they accomplish--but they want us to pretend that we see the world as they pretend they see it."

Stadler wants someone to validate his evasions and his false views of the world. That's why he's evil. He doesn't fight against the metaphysically erroneous book that Dr.Ferris writes, even though he knows it's wrong. Ultimately, Stadler's refusal to see reality destroys him. It's not his acceptance of government funding that does it.