Objectivism Online Forum

Axiomatic Concepts

Rate this topic

Vik

It is my understanding that axiomatic concepts are formed through a different process than what I would use to form a concept of some particular existent.

Rather than differentiating one group of existents from others, I'm supposed to integrate ALL existents and arrive at something basic.

What is it that I do when I underscore a primary fact?

Could there be other axiomatic concepts besides "existence", "identity", "consciousness"? Or are they all corollaries, like how "causality" is?

I understand that in order to form any axiomatic concept, I need a sufficient body of knowledge and a developed ability to introspect.

I'm not sure that it's correct to say that any concept formation is different than another. I think it's better to say that axiomatic concepts are *validated* in a different manner than those which are non-axiomatic.

They're all the same in that there's a selective focus, integration, and something similar to measurement-omission.

What's special is we're dealing with metaphysical fundamentals. This isn't a simple matter of pointing at distinguishing characteristics. It's not like we can point at some "non-existence" and make a distinction. We cannot differentiate existence from a void. We have to integrate all existents.

From ITOE pg. 55

Existence, identity and consciousness are concepts in that they require identification in conceptual form. Their peculiarity lies in the fact that they are perceived or experienced directly, but grasped conceptually.

From ITOE pg. 85

An axiomatic concept is the identification of a primary fact of reality, which is implicit in all facts and in all knowledge. It is perceived or experienced directly, but [grasped conceptually].

From ITOE pg. 99

Epistemologically, all the characteristics of the entities subsumed under a concept are discovered by the same basic method: by observation of these entities. The initial similarities, on the basis of which certain concretes were isolated and conceptually integrated, were [grasped by a process of observation]; all subsequently discovered characteristics of these concretes are discovered by the same method (no matter how complex the inductive procedures involved may become).

The axiomatic concepts are perceived or experienced directly, but have to be grasped conceptually.

Other concepts are perceived or experienced directly, but they are also grasped via the process of observation.

If there are any other axiomatic concepts, the precidence suggests that they would have to be grasped conceptually as well. The key to identifying it as axiomatic is it being something which is implicit in all facts and in all knowledge.

Edited by dream_weaver

The axiomatic concepts are perceived or experienced directly, but have to be grasped conceptually.

Other concepts are perceived or experienced directly, but they are also grasped via the process of observation.

If there are any other axiomatic concepts, the precedence suggests that they would have to be grasped conceptually as well. The key to identifying it as axiomatic is it being something which is implicit in all facts and in all knowledge.

Yes, but how? Where would we begin to look? How do we identify something that is implicit? Does some type of approach lead us there? What enables us to focus on one aspect rather than another? Such as emphasizing identity rather than existence?

• 9 months later...

What is it that I do when I focus on a metaphysical fundamental? How do I isolate an implicit fact?

We selectively attend our mind, we deliberately isolate within the scope of our awareness, we choose to direct our focus on the specific existents (be it entities, attributes, actions, events, relationships, phenomenon) for consideration. In the case of existence, it is the explicit identification of what every fact has in common. It is the fact derived from all facts. Or as stated in ITOE, "It is not the abstraction of an attribute from a group of existents, but of a basic fact from all facts." In the case of identity, it is the basis, the foundation, the cornerstone of differentiation and integration. In the case of (conceptual) consciousness, it is the root, it is present with, it is the cause of every identification.

Could there be other axiomatic concepts besides "existence", "identity", "consciousness"? Or are they all corollaries, like how "causality" is?

We certainly have the criteria to evaluate, test for, and identify a concept to ensure that it would qualify as axiomatic.

We know that percepts are the foundation, are at the base of, the building blocks of concepts. Analogously, axiomatic concepts serve the same function with regard to knowledge.