EPA taking over Texas regulations

Rate this topic

SapereAude

Sometimes a program is all the scarier for the wording chosen>

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101223/ap_on_re_us/us_epa_vs_texas

"The Federal Air-Permitting Program"

Coming to us all this January.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101223/ap_on_re_us/us_epa_vs_texas

One of the funniest things about the laws we've seen going into effect over the past couple years is how long Rand's detractors have described the scenarios put forth as being outrageous and impossible.

But Atlas Shrugged, in all its extremes never imagined that someday, permits would be granted to use AIR.

This is definitely bad news. Living in Texas, I was proud that the nationwide recession hardly affected the industry around where I live. My neck of the woods is currently growing and progressing faster than it ever has; what was twenty years ago unclaimed countryside is now a small city, and is on its way to becoming a large city (with a waterpark!) to which new businesses seem drawn like flies to honey. This outreach of the long arm of federal law is a serious damper on the upward momentum my home city has earned for itself, and I can only imagine how many other growing cities in this great state will be likewise affected. In fact, this warrants a personal letter to the administrator of the EPA. If there are any Texans on this forum who think the same way on this and would like to group-sign my letter once it's written, and maybe even look over it and add a thing or two, I think we might be able to come up with an effectively persuasive message. At the very least, we'd be making our opinions heard.

The picture I included is the new toll highway that's being extended right behind my neighborhood (paid for by the tolls I willingly and proudly paid) that I use every day to get to and from school. This highway has brought with it a concert center, movie theatre, shopping complex, athletic center, dozens of brand new businesses (one of which I was happily employed with for three seasons), and soon the newest Schlitterbahn in the state. This kind of productivity makes me happy to get out of bed and on the road every morning, and to think it might be stifled at the will of a few buffoons on capitol hill is frustrating to say the least.

23-booths.jpg

Edited by Weston

• 2 weeks later...

This is definitely bad news. Living in Texas, I was proud that the nationwide recession hardly affected the industry around where I live. My neck of the woods is currently growing and progressing faster than it ever has; what was twenty years ago unclaimed countryside is now a small city, and is on its way to becoming a large city (with a waterpark!) to which new businesses seem drawn like flies to honey. This outreach of the long arm of federal law is a serious damper on the upward momentum my home city has earned for itself, and I can only imagine how many other growing cities in this great state will be likewise affected. In fact, this warrants a personal letter to the administrator of the EPA. If there are any Texans on this forum who think the same way on this and would like to group-sign my letter once it's written, and maybe even look over it and add a thing or two, I think we might be able to come up with an effectively persuasive message. At the very least, we'd be making our opinions heard.

The picture I included is the new toll highway that's being extended right behind my neighborhood (paid for by the tolls I willingly and proudly paid) that I use every day to get to and from school. This highway has brought with it a concert center, movie theatre, shopping complex, athletic center, dozens of brand new businesses (one of which I was happily employed with for three seasons), and soon the newest Schlitterbahn in the state. This kind of productivity makes me happy to get out of bed and on the road every morning, and to think it might be stifled at the will of a few buffoons on capitol hill is frustrating to say the least.

23-booths.jpg

I'd be happy to sign and even help you proofread your letter, but it's going to take much more than a letter from even a thousand rational members of an online community to affect change. The EPA has been granted such powers for the expressed purposes of circumventing the legislative process. For the president, and the former Democrat Congress, AGW is a fact of reality, and is so pressing an issue that they are completely backing a "whether they like it or not" approach to dealing with it.

I recommend letters to our representatives at the state and federal levels. They are the ones that must stand up to the EPA on our behalf. By this point, the EPA probably has a permanent shred policy for every letter coming from a red state.