Objectivism Online Forum

Why is my town closed today? 1/3

Rate this topic

pam

Just a gripe-I drove all the way to the library today to find it closed (I am in the US)-it is a so called town 'vacation' day I come to find out-other surrounding towns were open for business and we received the us mail-I dont know how these people get away with giving themselves vacation days-

Government jobs used to be among the lowest paying-now they are the most sought after well paid and most secure..it seems the same everywhere with gvt jobs-heck I had to work Christmas day!

just venting I am pissed right now

:dough:

Edited by pam

If you do a little googling you will find that three of the ten richest suburbs in America today are outside Washington DC. Moreover, if search a bit more, you will find that state capitals such as Albany, Augusta, and Austin are at least not so bad off as the rest of the nation or experiencing actual booms. (Lansing is not so good.) The situation was developing for decades. It is a logical and inevitable consequence.

Truth to tell, it is not so much that government employees are well paid, but that they have secure jobs. Typically, government pay is good for manual workers (maintenance; gardening) and routine clericals, about twice the market rate, $15 per hour for them. But above that, and all the way to the top, government compensation is in retirement, healthcare, and other benefits.

The real money in government is in lobbying and consulting. Again, with the googling, you might find that many unrelated organizations have the same address. They are businesses run by professional association companies that identify and nurture markets in influence. Again, we saw this coming since 1957 -- and it was not new then.

I realize that you probably have enough to do in your life, but library boards are often elected and competition is usually light. You could run for the library board. Democracy in action and all that. Any other rational folk in your burg?

I realize that you probably have enough to do in your life, but library boards are often elected and competition is usually light. You could run for the library board. Democracy in action and all that. Any other rational folk in your burg?

you are right the $ is in security not as much as the jobs themselves...good idea about the library board! Our town and the library go hand in hand (town hall was closed today as well - and the dump) so maybe more involvement in town gvt in general would be the ticket-thanks for the tip.

It is a fairly wealthy new england town that I live in (I myself dont make much money at all) the correlation between that and the fact they have so many days off-I think I am missing something in what you are saying...?

Thanks!

Edited by pam

a fairly wealthy new england town ... the correlation between that and the fact they have so many days off-I think I am missing something in what you are saying...?

Well, the time off (paid is best; but it might be unpaid time off, a bummer) is a hidden salary benefit.

All I mean by "rational folk" was other Objectivists or similar people. In any community, a few involved people can make a difference. Ann Arbor is a politically-charged town, as you can imagine, and very Democrat Party. Even so, I held elected office (precinct delegate) as a Republican.