Objectivism Online Forum

If you don't already have an objectivist blog why not

Rate this topic

As an Objectivist blogger myself I will pretty much sum it up this way: The people that want to blog, and have enough material/potential material to do it already have or will do it. The others simply won't. I only do it because its an enjoyable hobby for me. This is also why I refuse to make "regular" posts and on certain topics. I post when I want and on whatever I feel like, as long as it fits the overarching theme of the website. It's also why I have been recruiting other writers recently to also blog on my website so the content is more frequent than being based on my personal whim. My rule for the is the same, post what you want when you want, however frequently you want, only difference is they have to send it to me for review beforehand and I usually just skim it over to make sure it isn't challenging something in Oism.

Edited by CapitalistSwine

As an Objectivist blogger myself I will pretty much sum it up this way: The people that want to blog, and have enough material/potential material to do it already have or will do it. The others simply won't. I only do it because its an enjoyable hobby for me. This is also why I refuse to make "regular" posts and on certain topics. I post when I want and on whatever I feel like, as long as it fits the overarching theme of the website. It's also why I have been recruiting other writers recently to also blog on my website so the content is more frequent than being based on my personal whim. My rule for the is the same, post what you want when you want, however frequently you want, only difference is they have to send it to me for review beforehand and I usually just skim it over to make sure it isn't challenging something in Oism.

Yeah I concur...I think having a casual approach makes it more likely stay active.

I was particularly inspired to blog after a comment by Yaron Brook on what one can do to promote objectivism.

Edited by James Bond

I do! "Necessary Facts" But I put it on Blogspot, not Wordpress. Though I looked at Wordpress first, I chose the Google provider on the reocmmendation of the finest computer security professional I ever slept with.

I was not quite ready to announce, but as the subject came up, the blog does have some material, with more to come. I am writing a review of Gregory M. Browne's Necessary Factual Truths to explain the name of the blog.

And, as for "promoting Objectivism" while I am an Objectivist, I am not "in church." I promote myself. That this includes Objectivism (as well as numismatics, aviation, and whatever else I want to write about) is an aspect of who I am and what interests me. That is what a blog is for, or at least what mine is for.

Five minutes a day? Not if you want to post semi-regularly on non-trivial issues which take some thought in order to write up a reasonably in-depth coverage of. For instance it can take me way longer to write the stuff for my new blog http://metaphysicsop.wordpress.com/ (which I updated casually for the most part, but I am getting back into the habit of posting at least every two or three days, or at least I am trying to ).

Plus anyway while I COULD post about a lot of things from an Objectivist perspective relatively few things which are not covered better elsewhere interest me enough to actually spend the time blogging about.

I've often thought about starting one, but I just don't think I'd have enough material often enough to keep it going at an acceptable pace. Perhaps I will start one and attempt to keep it going soon, and see how that goes.

It's in your self interest.

Why?

Not everyone likes writing short blog entries. Some people are better at other things than writing. Simply blogging is no guarantee that anyone is going to read or care about what you wrote, which matters if your purpose is to promote Objectivism.

It's in your self interest. It's like advocating lower/no taxes, just on a larger scale.

Thus far there has been an unproven assumption in each one of your posts in this thread. I suggest you address these before making more of them, lest you end up getting bogged down later in attempting the same. As a perfect example proving the point against your view, if the amount of thought that has been put into these suggestions of yours is akin to the amount put into blog posts (and this assumes such posts would get a fair amount of non-objectivist views) then I would conclude that it is not in your self-interest nor in the interest of Objectivism.

Five minutes a day? Not if you want to post semi-regularly on non-trivial issues which ...

Happy Newtonmas to you, too, RA. Interesting blog. I will make the time to go back and read it all... in time... See, that's the thing, making time to read. Can't do everything and when reading yours, I am not writing mine. Sort of a quandry, that...

Aren't you assuming that the blog will be read by a significant number of non-Objectivists?

.... because when I went and read the New Blog, I knew from the git-go that I was going to agree with it! Yours is "Practice Good Theory." Mine is "Necessary Facts." Objectivists, so rationally empirical, so logically experiential, so analytically synthetic. Hard to imagine that we could ever disagree!

(The new blog has better graphics. Nice layout.)

Edited by Hermes

Well? It's free on websites like Wordpress.com, it takes 5 minutes a day, and is an easy and fun way to promote objectivism. I recommend it.

We showed you ours. Now it's time for Little Jimmy to come out and play.

Thus far there has been an unproven assumption in each one of your posts in this thread. I suggest you address these before making more of them, lest you end up getting bogged down later in attempting the same. As a perfect example proving the point against your view, if the amount of thought that has been put into these suggestions of yours is akin to the amount put into blog posts (and this assumes such posts would get a fair amount of non-objectivist views) then I would conclude that it is not in your self-interest nor in the interest of Objectivism.

Wow, relax? Jesus. I made a remark, explained my point, and then you immediately insulted my posts and my blog.

Of course you aren't obligated to blog...but it has a similar rational to voting. You are trying to affect change in the world you live in, even if your particular contribution is small.

Edited by James Bond

If you aren't standing on the street corner for 10 minutes each day reading aloud from OPAR, why not? It's in your best interest because it promotes Objectivism.

Those are two different things.

On the one hand, you could keep your objectivism entirely to yourself. Or you could become a street promoter. Blogging is a happy medium.

If you believe in keeping it entirely to yourself, do you also never vote? Or advocate ideas to others? The two are inconsistent.

... it takes 5 minutes a day, and is an easy and fun way to promote objectivism.

You have a blog?

I clicked on James Bond and read your profile. Mostly, there is nothing there. If you have a blog, you are doing a good job of keeping it a double-oh secret.

Edited by Hermes

Wow, relax? Jesus. I made a remark, explained my point, and then you immediately insulted my posts and my blog.

Of course you aren't obligated to blog...but it has a similar rational to voting. You are trying to affect change in the world you live in, even if your particular contribution is small.

There was no insult there. You did not explain yourself properly (and still haven't), and that is what I was taking issue with. You seem to have missed the point.

Of course you aren't obligated to blog...but it has a similar rational to voting.

I am aware you are not suggesting that it is an obligation. What everyone in here is trying to tell you is that these comparisons, like this one about voting, are not correct. You misunderstand the concept of self-interest as it is used by Objectivism. Ayn Rand has directly discussed things of this nature in her writings.

If you believe in keeping it entirely to yourself, do you also never vote? Or advocate ideas to others? The two are inconsistent.

Or, perhaps they are spending their time in ways that promote their self-interest in more valuable ways. You do understand that values and self-interest are INDIVIDUAL things, right? You do understand that there may be other ways that people choose to engage their fellow man besides blogging, right? Are you mistakenly thinking that because it is in YOUR self-interest to blog that it must be in every other Objectivists self-interest to blog too? If you haven't gathered it by now, what people are ticked about is your presumption about what is in their best interest, as if you know better than they do how their values must be carried out. Presumption is rarely, if ever, appreciated on this site.

Edited by RationalBiker