Objectivism Online Forum

anthem graphic novel

Rate this topic

mmmcannibalism

So I saw through Randex that there is a graphic novel version of anthem now in existence. Does anyone know if it is good/does justice to the story. If it is true to the story, is the art style respectable enough to warrant a purchase for someone who already has a copy of anthem.

Check for updates here:

http://marshallholt.com/

• 4 weeks later...

A newspaper in West Virginia reported about this comic, saying:

For the first time, a work by Ayn Rand has been adapted into comic-book form. "Anthem," the philosopher and novelist's 1938 novella, has been turned into a graphic novel. It is adapted by Charles Santino and drawn by Joe Staton

Actually, The Fountainhead was done in comic form while Rand was alive. A few years ago, ARI did reprints for donors.

Edited by softwareNerd

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

My review of Ayn Rand’s Anthem: The Graphic Novel adapted by Charles Santino (script) and Joe Staton (art) (Kindle edition)

I think that it visually depicts Anthem, the scenes that it does depict that is, accurately, and said scenes follow tightly to the story line. Many lines are word for word from Anthem. I cross checked my Kindle edition of Anthem to confirm that. The cover of it threw me off, it’s in color, I thought the entire graphic novel was in color, but just the cover is, the rest is done in black and white. Regardless, I think it is a perfect medium for this story to be adapted into.

On it’s colorful cover, it also gives a description:

“The controversial classic of one individual’s will versus the subjugation of society”

Those already familiar with Anthem, I think, should be able to appreciate the novella being visually depicted this way. And I think that those that enjoy reading graphic novels themselves, should be able to appreciate not only the artwork but also that story progression, and may even want to read Rand’s Anthem afterwards sometime. For me, it makes a nice visual companion to the book

Edited by intellectualammo