Objectivism Online Forum

The media mentions Rand

Rate this topic

Browsing through Rand-mentions (that I get via Google Alerts), I thought I'd post a few of the better ones from the last recent week:

A town council candidate in Gilbert, Arizona is a Rand fan:

Petersen ... ... ... also enjoys reading, especially history and politics, encompassing everything from John Locke and Adam Smith to biographies of the Founding Fathers and the novels of Ayn Rand.

In an article on cowboys, in the Napa Valley Register, we read a complimentary simile:

Wally’s wranglers are mostly 20-somethings. I was watching abunch of Cal Poly alumni and their friends demonstrate poetry inmotion — engaging in a complex ballet.

Like characters in an Ayn Rand novel, they know only one way todo it: Right. They do it for love.

One food critic stretches things, comparing "The Black Star Co-op", a brewpub in Austin, Texas to Galt's Gulch.

TheKorea Times mentions the Samsung Group and the Tata Group as examples "that would make Ayn Rand hyperventilate with pride".

An article titled "Architects in Film" at Building.co.uk

If ever there was a fictional architect whom most architects would secretly aspire to be, Howard Roark is it. In the eponymous Ayn Rand novel on which the film is based, ...

... ... Although The Fountainhead was made in the forties, many of the issues Roark grapples with are still acutely relevant to architects today: fashion vs non-conformity, ethics vs profit, tradition vs modernity, individuality vs collectivism. Crucially it also casts Roark in a role architects rarely find themselves playing: the hero. And he’s a sex symbol to boot.

Following the "Social Security" issue on the news and this alert by you, I stumbled upon this little piece of work. The final paragraph is worth all the money, it's that laughable :lol:
There a lots of people who take jabs at Rand and Objectivism. In my OP, I left out many alerts that were snide remarks -- often made in passing. I wanted to highlight better ones: positive at least in some respect.

In Mysore, India, a horse running in a race there is named John Galt (probably a rich Rand-admiring owner):

6. The Vijayawada Plate (Div-I) (Horses rated 20 to 45) 1200m 4.15 pm: John Galt 62.5, Paint Me Red 61.5, Jugnu 61.5, Chamcha In Chief 59, Much More 58.5, Wynn 58.5, Master Strategist 57, Oblique 56.5, Gracian 56.5, Hidalgo 55.5, Amiera 53.
Edited by softwareNerd

Last week in a South African national daily paper, The Citizen, the editorial titled "Better a day's work...", began with:

"Ayn Rand once said that having a job as a street-sweeper could make a difference between penury and ...Etc."

Quite startling to see her name in a local newspaper, though she has been mentioned in financial mags, sometimes.

I wonder how many readers could identify her, since no description of her and her work was given. Encouraging...

I wonder how many readers could identify her, since no description of her and her work was given. Encouraging...
Yes, it is nice to see journalists -- even some who are not Rand fans -- simply assume that well-read folk know who Ayn Rand is.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

From Wired

The New Cell

One thing’s for sure: the idea is a complete departure from the current way of doing things, the sort of invention Perlman is known for. His San Francisco lab is called Rearden — a nod to Hank Rearden, the fictional magnate in Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged who invents an alloy that’s stronger than steel — and this tiny tech incubator is always looking for ways of overturning the status quo. It has already given rise to OnLive, a service that lets you streams game and other software over the internet rather than installing it on local devices, and Mova, which helped transform movie and game effects by providing a means of digitally capturing facial expressions, and now, it hopes to turn the wireless industry on its head.

With today’s networks, each antenna — perched atop a building or tower — creates a massive “cell” of wireless signal. This is essentially an enormous cone of radio waves that spans several city blocks, and it’s shared by all phones in the area. But Perlman’s invention discards the arrangement, giving each phone its own tiny cell, a bubble of signal that goes wherever the phone goes. This “personal cell” provides just as much network bandwidth as today’s cells, Perlman says, but you needn’t share the bandwidth with anyone else. The result is a significantly faster signal.