Objectivism Online Forum

How far is too far?

Rate this topic

Anylesca

My primary rule is that you accept the consequences for your actions.

I spent a few weeks in homelessness, because I did not agree with my living situation, and I decided that what I had to gain was greater than what I would lose. I knew exactly what I was getting into. I knew the difficulties present - I faced them openly.

If you are going to resist a law or setup which is immoral, be prepared for the results, and have a plan to handle them as well.

When it comes to parents - I don't know the circumstances present, but if they are housing and feeding you, you must do as instructed. If you are strongly opposed to their way of life, find a method to pay rent, seek rooming elsewhere or deal with it.

These are your options.

Edited by Summer

The issue isn't being kicked out, the issue is that they might try to throw me in a car and drive to family in another state. The issues is that every time I try to leave, they always try to find me and follow me around until I obey...

Whether you're in danger of being kicked out or sent to another state, the answer is simply that unless and until you are on your own and paying your own way in life, you are your parents' responsibility. Whether you like it or not, you need to obey them (unless of course they are asking you to murder someone or do some gravely immoral, illegal act).

The issue isn't being kicked out, the issue is that they might try to throw me in a car and drive to family in another state. The issues is that every time I try to leave, they always try to find me and follow me around until I obey...

If you can prove that you are able to support yourself (i.e. you have a job that makes you self-sufficient), you can seek emancipation before the age of 18, in Court.

If that's not the case, but you can prove that your parents are abusive, you can be placed in the custody of the State.

If that's not the case either, you must obey your parents until you are 18.

Those are your legal options. If you're still a minor, you do not have the legal right to just leave. Your parents/legal guardians do have the right to find you and make you obey. Whether it's right or not for them to do so, that's another question, but it's their decision. You don't have to agree with their decision, or be happy about it, but you have no choice but to conform to it, for now.

Unless you are in physical danger, you should not break the law by running away. That is most definitely not in your long term interest.

Edited by Tanaka