Objectivism Online Forum

"Atlas Shrugged" Movie

Rate this topic

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/06/18/angel...-lifetime-film/

Jolie told MTV News that Vadim Perelman, who was thought to be lined up to direct, was never and is not now officially attached to the project.

What in the hell? Then what were all those interviews with Vadim about?

Apparently he even has a signed contract says "Director".

This has all gotten a bit strange.

Edited by Grant

What in the hell? Then what were all those interviews with Vadim about?

Hype. It's what Hollywood runs on.

I reffer you to Asimov's Law of Moviemanking: "Whatever happens, nothing happens."

This has all gotten a bit strange.

It's mostly par for the course.

Movies are expensive undertakings that require a lot of labor and effort. The big problem is finding the money to make it. Given how much money's involved, most projects that are not assured a good return will take forever to get any kind of backing. what's assured a good return? Nothing, really. But the conventional wisdom is that sequels will do well, as will films by big-name directors, those with big-name stars, and those adapted from an already popular medium like a TV series or a book series.

Or you can take comfrot in this exchange from the Men in Black cartoon series:

K (referring to Hollywood): Oh, well. We'll just have to neuralize the whole town again.

J: Oh, so that's why they keep making the same movies!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I will see that movie. It is my all time favorite book, and it has a high bar set for it, that I think it will be nearly impossible to meet. Before I read Atlas Shrugged, some of my other favorite books were turned into movies, and that was, well, not exactly as good as the book, to say the least.

The only person I am completely sold on as portraying a character in the movie is Derek Jacobi as Dr. Stadler.

Other than that I could see Bale as Rearden or Galt. Russell Crowe as Rearden

Pitt as Ragnar. Heath Ledger probably could have pulled of Ragnar as well.

Uma Thurman would do well as Lillian.

Dagny? That's tough.

I'm not sure beyond that.

I've been wondering that myself.

I haven't seen it recently enough to recall for myself, but I heard someone gripe that "Roark's" architecture shown in the Fountainhead movie was appalling (and therefore not "really" Roark's architecture). If so, same phenomenon.

Yeah...that was Frank Lloyd Wright. He was contracted to design the buildings for the movie but was fired (or left) because he demanded final editing rights to the movie itself, and Rand (of course) refused.

Then he said that the buildings in the movie looked like hack imitations of his work.

I'm sure that they could use Rachaminov or better yet discover an undiscovered modern musical genius that create an original soundtrack. Remember that while the events in AS are fictional, there are people in reality who possess genius and superlative talent, and I'm sure that this is a production that those type of people would love to be involved in.

I've just realised something... what on Earth will they do for Halley's concerto? They can hardly compose something to that standard.

I like the way that the main concerto in the film "Three Colors: Blue" was handled - you dont need to play the piece all the way through, so you can dodge the "how can we compose something to the standard of what's being described?" problem. Just make sure it has an interesting and recognisable main theme, and weave it through the film as a whole.

Using Rachmaninov would be a bit hackney I think, and would also be hypocritical. Appropriating art from dead composers in order to advertise a mass-market Hollywood film seems contrary to the spirit of art embodied in both AS and the Fountainhead. Anything Rachmaninov wrote which woul be suitable for Halley's concerto is too good to be chopped up and used as a film soundtrack - I'd rather not hear one of my favourite pieces of music be used for background/mood.

Edited by eriatarka

Has this movie been approved/sanctioned by Leonard Peikoff? Does it have the full official backing of the Ayn Rand Institute? Has it been/will it be screened for everyone there? I never go in for stuff otherwise.

No. Neither Dr. Peikoff nor the Ayn Rand Institute has anything to do with this movie.

Yeah...that was Frank Lloyd Wright. He was contracted to design the buildings for the movie but was fired (or left) because he demanded final editing rights to the movie itself, and Rand (of course) refused.

Then he said that the buildings in the movie looked like hack imitations of his work.

Ayn Rand was also unhappy with the architecture in the movie.

Edited by Mimpy

I don't think this is accurate.

From http://www.objectivistcenter.org/cth--24-Wright_Rand.aspx

Wright seems to have been interested in the movie commission. Years later, Mildred Rosenbaum, an Alabama client of Wright's, told this author that during a 1947 visit to Taliesin, Wright asked her husband Stanley (owner-manager of a chain of movie theaters) what the charge for such a job should be. Rosenbaum declined to give advice, saying he knew only the exhibiting and not the producing end of the business. Their son Alvin writes in Usonia: Frank Lloyd Wright's Design for America (Washington, Preservation Press, 1993, p. 166) that Rand herself was due at Taliesin that weekend to make her final plea to Wright, but for one reason or another she did not show up. In the event, Wright did not take the job

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I wish somebody would get off their ass and get this thing done. :D Done properly, it could have a great impact, especially considering current events. I can't count the times I've heard people say things like "I feel like I'm trapped in Atlas Shrugged" or variations there of.

Personally, I've always thought Christian Bale would be a superb Francisco, he's an incredible actor (watch The Machinist if you have any doubt) and he's got the worthless playboy/undercover hero thing down pat from playing Batman.