Objectivism Online Forum

"Atlas Shrugged" Movie

Rate this topic

I still like a suggestion I heard once which was to make it a 3-part movie. It's a risk, but if it's done well, that movie would gross a ridiculous amount of money.

I'd picture a two-parter. Part 1 is an action thriller, Part 2 is Drama/Action. Part 1, which would be called "Atlas Shrugged", is Dagny searching for John Galt, "The Destroyer", and so it's a hero finding the villain. Then it ends with a cliffhanger of her chasing him in the plane and crashing, and it ends with him saying "Hello, Ms. Taggart, I'm John Galt." Part Two, called "The Strike", begins with her at Galt's Gulch, and the rest of the novel, with the capture and torture of Galt, their love, the end of society, and the new beginning.

Dang, maybe I should write this.

Edited by Sir Andrew

I'm really excited to see the level of activity on this forum just today....I've been waiting patiently for an AS movie for a while, and it made me sad to see that the same conversations about it were taking place in 2004 (beginning of this thread).

I'm halfway through my second reading of the novel, and still love it

I don't think a mini-series would capture the audience in the same way as a movie would...

I don't know about that...I'm sure box office receipts will fall farther with this economic downturn and actors/actresses will probably start taking work they normally wouldn't just to get on the screen and make some money. In addition, I don't think people will be at the theaters as much...opting to less expensive DVDs and TV. I saw several movies over the holidays and it was very expensive!

I keep trying to envision what the Atlas Shrugged movie might be like if it was hyper-romanticized and hyper-exaggerated, such as 300 was.

I think that would come out very well, actually.

I also think they could get the book across very well in a cartoon - with the hyper romanticized/exaggerated. In a Frank Millerish way.

I was speaking with the husband tonight and he said he would love to see the The Worchowski (sp) Brothers write it. They did they screen play for the 300 as well I believe.

I also think they could do Atlas Shrugged justice in a very exciting way that would draw numerous teens and young adults to it, possibly more so than it would as a straight live action film.

I was speaking with the husband tonight and he said he would love to see the The Worchowski (sp) Brothers write it. They did they screen play for the 300 as well I believe.

I also think they could do Atlas Shrugged justice in a very exciting way that would draw numerous teens and young adults to it, possibly more so than it would as a straight live action film.

Aren't they whylin liberals?

I don't think a mini-series would capture the audience in the same way as a movie would, and you couldn't get the big names that would draw in non-objectivists.

Possibly. Miniseries have lower budgets than feature films, they don't travel well and, but for a few exceptions like "Roots," they disappear after one showing.

Possibly. Miniseries have lower budgets than feature films, they don't travel well and, but for a few exceptions like "Roots," they disappear after one showing.

Have you seen that series called "Amerika"? I think that format would be great for Atlas Shrugged.

I'm afraid a movie wouldn't be worth much because of all the stuff that would have to be left out. Plus I don't really care about who it will reach. I'd rather watch a well made series than a movie with A listers which turns the story into a dark science-fiction flick, or a thriller, with Galt's speech just a short afterthought.(or worse, completely cut out)

• 3 weeks later...

The Atlas Society posted a news update on the Atlas Shrugged movie.

Who is Dagny Taggart?

January 23, 2009

Ayn Rand’s masterpiece, Atlas Shrugged, is still reaching for the big-screen!

For those of you who keep up with movie news, the most recent discussion of the movie project took place at a film panel consisting of producers Michael Burns, Vice-Chairman of Lionsgate Films, and Howard and Karen Baldwin of Baldwin Entertainment; along with then-engaged director Vadim Perlman. The panel was held at TAS’s 50th Anniversary Celebration of Atlas Shrugged, October 6, 2007.

The Lionsgate project came to a halt on September 30, 2008, when the company chose not to renew its option with Atlas Society trustee John Aglialoro, owner of the movie rights and current script. Now, after a waiting period through the end of 2008, Aglialoro is pursuing other options. In addition to the possibility of producing an adaptation himself, he is in discussions with private investors and film producers.

Burns of Lionsgate remains interested in the project, however, as do the Baldwins. Aglialoro is exploring with them the possibility of a new film deal—this time without Angelina Jolie, who was previously attached to the role of Dagny Taggart. “Jolie failed to seize the opportunity, and we’re moving on,” said Aglialoro.

Actresses who have expressed interest in the role and are reading the script include Cate Blanchett, Keira Knightly, Julia Roberts, and Charlize Theron. Randall Wallace, who wrote the current version of the script, is a strong possibility as director.

“There are no guarantees in Hollywood,” cautions Aglialoro. “The movie may never be made.” Nevertheless, he adds, interest in Rand’s great novel continues to grow worldwide. With a huge fan base and the continuing high level of interest from the film industry, “everything looks hopeful and promising.”

I'll be very pleased if Cate Blanchett plays the role of Dagny Taggart (though even more pleased if the project is delayed long enough for the intellectual property rights to return to ARI).

Edited by JMartins

The Wachowski brothers? Ugh...No. They did The Matrix trilogy, Speed Racer and wrote the V for Vendetta screenplay. They weren't involved in 300. I don't see them being suited to directing Atlas Shrugged.

As for the potential Dagnys, the only reasonable choice I see there is Blanchett. Keira Knigthly? Oh HELL no. I don't think Roberts and Theron are suitable either.

Edited by Grant

How many blockbusters has Jolie actually been in?
Any movie that is marketed as a blockbuster that also stars Angelina Jolie will earn triple or quadruple its total budgeted costs. Take last year's Wanted, which was a terrible movie, in which she wasn't even that hot: they spent $75 million, they got back $341 million. Crazy! Also, almost every "serious" movie she does, like The Good Shepherd or A Mighty Heart, is at least profitable. But even A Mighty Heart has also earned three times its production costs.

So, it is a shame that she isn't attached to the project anymore (not to mention she is amazing and so beautiful). But, if Cate Blanchett were to do it instead, I would be even more excited! (Yes, I love her more than Angelina. She's the best actress I've ever seen.) Really, any good actress who is also good-looking would be fine for any of Rand's female characters. That is what they do, they act. The good ones can act anything.

Edited by JASKN

I am ignorant in the legalities of this. Why would that happen?

Film rights are never given indefinitely. When you buy the rights to a film, you are buying a window of opportunity to make the film. If the film is not produced by the time the contract is up, the rights are retracted and can be resold by ARI to whoever they choose.

Just curious, but what has Cate Blanchett been in that's so good? (I've only seen her in a few movies, mainly LOtR, so I'm just asking out of sincere curiosity.) She seems alright and I think she would make a good Dagny with longer, dark hair, but I still say someone Katherine Hepburn-esque would be better. (Although I haven't quite figured out who that would be yet.) :D

Just curious, but what has Cate Blanchett been in that's so good? (I've only seen her in a few movies, mainly LOtR, so I'm just asking out of sincere curiosity.) She seems alright and I think she would make a good Dagny with longer, dark hair, but I still say someone Katherine Hepburn-esque would be better. (Although I haven't quite figured out who that would be yet.) :D

She actually plays Katherine Hepburn in The Aviator, and she's bloody phenomenal in that. She's great in everything I've ever seen her, and I'm convinced she'd be the perfect Dagny.

She actually plays Katherine Hepburn in The Aviator, and she's bloody phenomenal in that. She's great in everything I've ever seen her, and I'm convinced she'd be the perfect Dagny.

I could agree with this; I really admire Blanchett. However, I presently prefer Kiera Knightley. And I think also that now Kat Winslett has now become sufficiently sexy, so she is too a candidate. Also, I think Jessica Biel is tremendously beautiful and a talented actress.

Now about Francisco. Someone said, sometime ago, I think it was a female poster, that she liked Adrian Grenier (of Entourage) as Francisco. Physically, certainly. He does seem to be a talented actor and has great promise. So I would agree with this. Right now, I cannot go back, look for the suggestion, and quote it. (Or was it in the Forum for Ayn Rand Fans?) Oh well, so Adrian Grenier could play Francisco.

But right now, I would like to make official, that James Franco is my current ideal Francisco. We'll see who I choose two years from now, as it used to be Jude Law at one point--but it is now too late for him. Then it was Wentworth Miller, but I need to see him in something other than in Prison Break and with long hair to make my choice, to see how his face changes with longer hair.

Edward Norton would be the perfect John Galt. He's a brilliant actor who's shown he can pull of any role, and he has the perfect appearance – he looks highly intelligent, and has a slight build (I may be biased on this as I'm always imagining Norton as Galt while reading Atlas Shrugged). This picture of him reminds me of the portrait by Frank O'Connor which was used for marketing Atlas Shrugged back when it was first released (under the title "Who is John Galt"). Guy Pearce might also be very suitable for the role.

As for Francisco D'Anconia, Gerard Butler would be pure perfection.

Ha, you got that picture from the woman thread, where he was mistaken for Sienna Miller. :confused:

Edited by JMartins

Edward Norton would be the perfect John Galt. He's a brilliant actor who's shown he can pull of any role, and he has the perfect appearance – he looks highly intelligent, and has a slight build (I may be biased on this as I'm always imagining Norton as Galt while reading Atlas Shrugged). This picture of him reminds me of the portrait by Frank O'Connor which was used for marketing Atlas Shrugged back when it was first released (under the title "Who is John Galt"). Guy Pearce might also be very suitable for the role.

As for Francisco D'Anconia, Gerard Butler would be pure perfection.

Ha, you got that picture from the woman thread, where he was mistaken for Sienna Miller. :confused:

The picture I posted of Di Caprio doesn't do him justice to be honest, but I do like the look of Norton as well, though I believe Leonardo is a better actor.

I never used to like Leonardo as an actor till I saw him in Blood Diamond.

I actually saw The Aviator and had forgotten about Blanchett in that film. That image is much more appealing as Dagny.

I also like most of Zip's picks, but not sure about Liv Tyler. She's a pretty face, but is kinda wimpy when it comes to acting. I thought she was the weakest link in The Hulk; however, Norton was great and I do like the idea of him in the movie.

Zip's Mouch pick is AWESOME! :)

Okay, here's a fun one to think about...who would be Cuffy Meigs?