Objectivism Online Forum

"Atlas Shrugged" Movie

Rate this topic

Even if AS is a flop, and even if it doesn't present the full content and context (something I think it could not do without being 20 hours long) - as long as what it presents is not corrupted, it will contain that "grain of truth" which will catch the attention of those thinkers who do watch it, and spur them to investigate further.

As for "large scale convergences of attacks against O'ism" --- yeah? So? Been there, done that, got the Reardon Metal Jackets. I mean really - have you NOT NOTICED the abundance of anti-o'ism out there already?

If O'ism gets a lot of negative attention based on falsehoods, it will still get a lot of ATTENTION - and thus more people will be exposed to the ideas and those who actually do think for themselves will investigate it to their own satisfaction.

• 5 weeks later...

Nice looking website... The facebook page has some production stills in there too. The production values look pretty darn good.

It is tough to make a good movie though (even for the most experienced filmmakers). A lot has to come together just right. Making Atlas Shrugged right is no small task. It would be very nice to see it done well.

I do not have the ability to skim through this post right now, so I apologize if the information I am about to share has already been expressed.

The Atlas Shrugged movie will be coming out this April, if everything goes according to plan. The rough copy is already completed, the first preview was released only in New York and as a one-time event -

For those of you who are familiar with "This is John Galt Speaking", a YouTube series, the creator of those videos was in New York to witness said release, and wrote a very positive article about it, which I linked on my Facebook page upon its publication. For those of you who are not familiar with Galt Speaking, I'd advise looking into it.

Roughly two weeks ago at dinner with Yaron Brook, the movie came up in discussion. He informed us that he has already seen a pre-cut, prior to the addition of music and whatnot, and that it "most certainly does not butcher everything".

I have yet to catch whiff of a theatrical trailer. The movie itself will not be played in all theaters (there's still time for this setup to change, but I am speaking thus far).

Atlas Shrugged has been divided into two separate parts, in the same fashion as the concluding Harry Potter.

Edited by Summer

Don't you mean three parts? From the official site:

"For the millions around the world who have read Rand's books, for those curious about her controversial philosophy, and for the uninitiated, and skeptical - the film, which only covers the first third of the book, is an opportunity to a faithful adaptation." (emphasis mine)

The countdown clock for the trailer is boned up. It doesn't correct for timezone so anyone looking at it will see a countdown to 6PM their time. There are already people in Eastern Europe complaining that the time has arrived and the trailer isn't visible yet.

I am not sure which timezone it's actually going to be 6PM in when the trailer gets released (Eastern Time? Pacific time?)

[PS to find this thread, I searched for "Atlas Shrugged Movie" and it was on the THIRD PAGE of the results even though it's the main thread about the movie and has it in the TITLE, not buried in someone's text. Not a terribly smart function.]

Edited by Steve D'Ippolito

From an article about a party help by Freedom Works during the Conservative Action Political Conference 2011:

The evening was highlighted by a number of parties, fundraisers, and receptions. Notably, FreedomWorks USA, an umbrella organization for the various Tea Parties, sponsored a "Blog Bash" bringing together some of the preeminent conservative and libertarian bloggers in the country. The affair was genial and relatively low-key, something of a family reunion. Selected scenes from the upcoming film production of Ayn Rand's, "Atlas Shrugged" were screened. The room's reaction was mixed, but I found it rather well done and seemingly true to the text. Then again, I may just be suffering from the soft bigotry of low expectations following previous conservative-financed and produced films such as the Left Behind series.

Someone posted on the blog under the trailer that it will happen at 4:30 PM Eastern time.... eight minutes from now. I have myself repeated that information a couple of times there (lots of people posting without reading first), but the original posting was by someone connected with the movie.

I was highly skeptical, to say the least, and I'm sure many of you were, but the trailer is looking extremely promising.

Color me excited.

Sorry, but not even the studio trickery involved in making your run-of-the-mill theatrical trailer could cover up the horrific acting exhibited by every single actor and actress shown in this preview.

This is going to be a D-rate portrayal of an A-rate novel. What was Peikoff thinking when he gave up the AS rights to the people involved with this??

I'm glad they set it in modern times, I don't like period pieces. I know it's not A-list actors but I recognized 3 of them. And the woman who plays Dagny is quite beautiful.

I didn't even know this was coming and now am very much looking forward to it. I would like to support it financially but it is unlikely to come to cinemas in Australia (where I live). I do hope they release it on iTunes or some other online outlet at some point.

Edited by philosopher

maybe i'm 'acting blind' or something

i never understand how people rush to damning judgement of the acting in many films. i mean especially just from a 2 minute trailer. can people seriously tell that the acting is 'terrible' just from that?

the trailer looked pretty good. of course the film could still be rubbish

I was hoping it would be set in the past. :pirate:

But I can still hope that part two at least features a slide by shot of a super advanced pirate ship.

maybe i'm 'acting blind' or something

i never understand how people rush to damning judgement of the acting in many films. i mean especially just from a 2 minute trailer. can people seriously tell that the acting is 'terrible' just from that?

Ditto I only start to notice it after I rewatch something a few times, which I only do for animation.

Does anyone else find that "If you double cross me, I will destroy you." line more fit for an Oliver Stone villain than an AR hero?

It has to be tough to make a theatrical trailer for a movie like that. You almost have to include all the most dramatic, cheesy lines in the trailer.

I read through a lot of comments on the YouTube page. There seems to be an orchestrated effort on the left to push three or four things: the line that Ayn Rand was infatuated with some mass murderer, the thing about her accepting social security, some quote comparing it to lord of the rings, and people complaining part 2 will be the speech. The fact that there are multiple iterations of Part 2 will be the speech (no one gets it right; whatever speech there will be is in part 3) tells me they are all being spoonfed by some orchestrator. No sooner does someone refute the point and it drops down about 200 comments, than somone else posts the same comment--verbatim.

The left is after this one big time.