Objectivism Online Forum

"Atlas Shrugged" Movie

Rate this topic

Giamati as Mouch? Wonderful! That'd be great.

Personally, I always saw Rearden as Christian Bale-esc. Bale has the kind of somber tone I imagine from Rearden many times.

Deciding Ragnar is the toughest for me, since he is my favorite character and I've never had the perfect image in my head. Everytime I read a chapter with Ragnar in it, I picture him somewhat differently. I think someone like Crowe or someone good at playing a rugged, yet astoundingly intelligent individual would be good.

I can't remember, is Mulligan a rotund man? Because I think I have the perfect actor for him as well, if that is true.

As for the potential Dagnys, the only reasonable choice I see there is Blanchett. Keira Knigthly? Oh HELL no. I don't think Roberts and Theron are suitable either.

They could do worse than Keira Knightley – however, she's about 10 years younger than what Dagny is supposed to be, so she'd certainly be an unappropriate choice. I wouldn't have approached her. Perhaps her agent asked for the script, and they obliged her. I could certainly see her as a young Dagny based on her appearance, but I'm not familiar with her acting.

keira-knightley-by-julian-broad.jpg

Edited by JMartins

I think James Gandolfini would be better suited for the role of Orren Boyle – he always reminded me of Tony Soprano.

Midas Mulligan was a big man, "who looked more like a dock worker than a banker", or something like that. Gandolfini is a superb actor and fit's the physical description.

• 1 month later...
A quick follow-up, with a picture of Cate Blanchett looking very Dagnyesque (though of course, she should be a brunette).

cateblanchett3wm5.jpg

Having just watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button I would be extremely happy with Cate Blanchett as Dagny Taggart. I think she would hit the role spot on.

They could do worse than Keira Knightley – however, she's about 10 years younger than what Dagny is supposed to be, so she'd certainly be an unappropriate choice. I wouldn't have approached her. Perhaps her agent asked for the script, and they obliged her. I could certainly see her as a young Dagny based on her appearance, but I'm not familiar with her acting.

I think Kiera Knightly is breath-takingly beautiful, gentle and graceful, but I don't think she'd make a good Dagny. She has a vein element to her that you can see in her face as some sort of superficial smugness... Know what I mean? I can't imagine her looking up to a man if there was a mirror behind him.

• 2 weeks later...
Lena Headey, who plays the Queen of Sparta in the movie 300, and Sarah Connor in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles would also be a great pick for Dagny Taggart.

She definitely looks the part.

Here's a casting pick of my own: Wallace Shawn as James Taggart.

vizzini1.jpg

Just imagine him saying "I didn't say that!" in the same tone as "INCONCEIVABLE!"

just wanted to throw this out there: Yaron Brook says that the best way to tell the story on film is a multi-part series ala Band of Brothers, here. although i think it could reach more people (teenagers especially) by being advertised as a blockbuster, the story could be told better as a miniseries.

Edited by Chris.S

I think Kiera Knightly is breath-takingly beautiful, gentle and graceful, but I don't think she'd make a good Dagny. She has a vein element to her that you can see in her face as some sort of superficial smugness... Know what I mean? I can't imagine her looking up to a man if there was a mirror behind him.

She's only 'smug' coz she's had the opportunity to act alongside Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom: both beautiful candidates for Francisco (if Johnny Depp were 3 years younger).

:confused::lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcg5t0mT8V4

This is the preview for the new Terminator movie. Not only is it exceptionally bad-ass, but hearing Christian Bale on the radio saying "This is John Connor" makes me think hearing him on the radio saying "This is John Galt" would be pretty bad-ass as well.

Christian Bale plays a lot of rich, wealthy people with shady second lives (Patrick Bateman, Bruce Wayne), and he certainly looks the part, so I'd support him as John Galt.

• 4 weeks later...
http://www.riskybusinessblog.com/2009/03/w...lout-movie.html

From reading this article I don't get a good feeling about how AS would be handled by Hollyweird. :)

I don't think it would be necessarily too bad, based off that article (unless I'm missing something). I mean sure, it may be shortened, but it is a 1,000+ page book, and a lot of it description. Using the rule-of-thumb for scriptwriting, if you found a way to make all of those pages into the script, that'd be a 1,000+ minute movie.

Also, this made me quite literally laugh out loud.

...principles of Objectivism, which argues for an aggressive free market and against government activism. Let's just say it's probably not on the president's nightstand.

Is it just me or is this the Duke Nukem Forever of movies?

Definitely. Honestly I'm not interested in seeing Atlas turned into a movie though. At least, not today with Hollywood being what it is now. It would have to take some phenomenal luck to have it turn out any good. Maybe some day the circumstances will actually be proper enough that the film actually gets made and is met with the cheers and support it deserves instead of the smears and confusion I'd expect to see today.