Objectivism Online Forum

Christianity in a Nutshell

Rate this topic

tahdah.jpeg

While the picture seems clever and I am not a Christian apologist I have to point something out here:

When mocking someone else's belief one best bother to learn what the belief one is mocking actually consists of.

Whoever made this picture doesn't know what "original sin" is. Original sin does not mean that God created man with sin. God did not "create man with original sin". The first man was born pure but with free will, chose sin, and from some not all Christian teachings this means that there is a trace or capacity for sin in all who are born from the line of Adam. This is an important distinction. Pelagianism held that no such thing as original sin existed and that man did not need divine grace to free themselves of "sin", that man could live a perfect life of his own free will.

I would love to see some of these that attack all the rest of the religions...ha!
There are a lot of "Mohammed Cartoons" out there. Fortunately, Christians haven't yet started trying to assassinate the cartoonists and their publishers.

While the picture seems clever and I am not a Christian apologist I have to point something out here:

When mocking someone else's belief one best bother to learn what the belief one is mocking actually consists of.

Whoever made this picture doesn't know what "original sin" is. Original sin does not mean that God created man with sin. God did not "create man with original sin". The first man was born pure but with free will, chose sin, and from some not all Christian teachings this means that there is a trace or capacity for sin in all who are born from the line of Adam. This is an important distinction. Pelagianism held that no such thing as original sin existed and that man did not need divine grace to free themselves of "sin", that man could live a perfect life of his own free will.

I'm a former minister. Technically he was "the lamb slain before the foundation of the world" It was all "part of the plan" ..... ;)

You have a point there, from the Christian point of view, but the poster also has a point from the atheist point of view, in that God, being the supreme ruler of all, has omniscience and omnipotence, which supposedly coexists with human free will, which doesn't make any sense. And in any event, this would at the most only apply to Adam and Eve themselves, and they are dead. I have Original Sin and was created by God, according to the common versions of the Christian doctrine, so the original point of the poster remains valid, i.e. that religion makes no sense, and it isn't really a straw man.

You have a point there, from the Christian point of view, but the poster also has a point from the atheist point of view, in that God, being the supreme ruler of all, has omniscience and omnipotence, which supposedly coexists with human free will, which doesn't make any sense. And in any event, this would at the most only apply to Adam and Eve themselves, and they are dead. I have Original Sin and was created by God, according to the common versions of the Christian doctrine, so the original point of the poster remains valid, i.e. that religion makes no sense, and it isn't really a straw man.

I understand your reservations.. but realise that there is no real thing readily defined as "Christianity" any more what with all the different splinters. Each diffeent sect has a different defintion of what Original Sin means and has a different view on its existence.

Even when one knows the opposing view is wrong it is better to behave respectfully in debate- assuming one's desire is to help the other side come to understand the truth.

In early Christian literature there is much debate about original sin and in modern sects as well. In early Christianity the lack of Original Sin was completely crushed as a notion b/c it was problematic in acquisition of power.

My take is this: If you are dealing with an intelligent person no matter how wrong they may be about a certain notion treat them as such. By treating them as fools there is no gain excepting perhaps that of a bullying child.

As I said before- I think the picture I singled out to be clever. However the average person who finds the picture so would not have a proper or educated response if a Christian who follows a non OS sect called them on that point. That is just a net loss.

I don't argue against this kind of humour, I only point out that if one chooses to make fun of things they don't fully grasp you look not only foolish but also damage your own rational cause.

NOTE: Having started this as a "reply" function it occured to me that it could be taken I was referring to 2046 with all the "you"s, that was not the intent, I am simply too lazy to switch it all to "one could"s. My reply went from addressing 2046 directly to speaking in general terms.