Objectivism Online Forum

A Stand Against the Darkness

Rate this topic

I've searched through the active threads, and I noticed that, while there were many specific topics centering around what the word "inspiring" means, I didn't find one devoted to listing examples in a general sense. That being the case, I would like to suggest the following: I would welcome other people discussing what they find inspiring, what "gets you through your day" when you're feeling tired and discouraged by the persistent irrationality in our culture and the world.

Here are a few examples of artists/writers and works that I have thought of; at first some of these choices may seem strange, but I will explain my reasons behind them:

1. Claudio Monteverdi's "Ecco Mormorar"- This is a fascinating example of a work celebrating the beauty of reason and the limitless acheivements possible to Man. Note how he invokes "Aurora", the Greek Goddess of the dawn in a misguided(religion)but touching gesture.

2. Katy Perry's "Firework"- This is an artist I had my doubts about. In the beginning of her career, she released several songs which properly belong in the "moronic pop-music" category; I still have some doubts about her character, given her marriage to the "ex-drug addict" Russell Brand, so I can't offer an unequivocal endorsement at this time, but this song was a shining example of exactly the type of selfish Rationality and Individualism which Ayn Rand wrote about, and although Perry makes several errors(naming the Heart as the center of human emotions)the song goes against the dominant Philosophical trend fostered by Altruism and its belief in perpetual suffering and disappointment as inevitable.

3. Terry Goodkind's "The Sword of Truth" series- His main characters Richard and Kahlan both stand, repectively as briliant examples of what it means to be a Rational Man, and a Rational Woman, remembering of course an obvious fact which many people choose to forget, that in terms of fundamentals, the virtue of Rationality, as other virutes are not, is not one determined or limited by gender.

P.S. I would like to hear an opinion from a moderator on whether or not posting the lyrics of the above songs would constitute copyright infringement.

Edited by A Free Man