Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivist Bosch Fawstin appears on The Daily Show

Rate this topic

brian0918

Last night's episode of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart featured a short segment with Objectivist and comic book artist Bosch Fawstin talking about DC Comics use of a Muslim superhero sidekick to Batman, and about his new comic The Infidel featuring the anti-jihadist Pigman (first issue on sale now for $2.50). They basically edited a 3-hour interview down to 3 minutes, removed all his arguments, and took his statements out of context. He knew they would - their intent is to be funny, and they don't let truth get in the way of humor. Here is his pre-emptive blog post.

<br><br>

I particularly liked his original un-aired reply to "What's wrong with a Muslim Batman":

<br><br>

I've now seen the segment and before they "edited" it, I actually answered, ‎"What's wrong with Batman in WW2 recruiting a German Batman without any mention of Nazis?" when Asif asked me "What's wrong with a Muslim Batman?", and they did the same thing with some of my other "answers", but overall, I was fine with the segment, and it was definitely funny.

<br><embed style='display:block' src='http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:375756' width='512' height='288' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='window' allowFullscreen='true' flashvars='autoPlay=false' allowscriptaccess='always' allownetworking='all' bgcolor='#000000'></embed><br>

Order+NOW+ad.png

Edited by brian0918

I've seen dishonesty. I've seen hatchet jobs. This is none of the above.

It's a bloody drive-by shooting.

Seriously, they quoted him out of context, edited his answers, and made him look like some sort of idiot.

Well, now I know I don't have to bother with John Stewart ever again.

I don't think it was that bad. You can really tell that they didn't have much "good material" to work with, so they had to heavily edit it to make him seem crazy. At least they left in the fact that he is a former Muslim, which may plant a seed of credibility in some people's minds. I was really surprised though, how much material they shot for how little was actually aired.

I've seen dishonesty. I've seen hatchet jobs. This is none of the above.

It's a bloody drive-by shooting.

Seriously, they quoted him out of context, edited his answers, and made him look like some sort of idiot.

Well, now I know I don't have to bother with John Stewart ever again.

You were surprised that the daily show cut up an interview and took statements out of context to make the interviewee look stupid?

Thats like their M.O.

I had no idea that they had interviews of that length and then cut them down like that. At any rate, that is awful but not unexpected. As far as Jon Stewart, I still watch the show on occasion, and he is funny, but the respect meter has slowly been going down as time goes on.