Objectivism Online Forum

Libya Updates

Rate this topic

CapitalistSwine

If you are talking about the cruise missiles sent from that ship early on, I believe those were targeting the surface to air missiles that needed to be taken out so that we could bring fighters in. At least that is what I have read and also heard on the news.

Early on we attacked his fortified personal compound with cruise missiles and we just did it again the other night after he gave a speech there for a couple of minutes.

By the way, according to the Deputy National Security Advisor, this isn't really a war, it's a "kinetic military action".... just in case anyone is confused.

I like seeing crap blow up (I was a Combat Engineer )as much as the next guy, but I can't help thinking that we'd be better off leaving Daffy in place. I have a feeling these new cats will not be our buddies. Obama's non-existent foreign policy is incoherent at best, deliberately anti-American at worst. I'm betting on a combination of incompetence and a belief that America is the problem and needs to be taken down a notch.

This is absolutely incredible. We are now begging our NATO allies to take over command of the operation. Of course, most of the men and military assets (or should I call them "kinetic assets"?) doing the heavy lifting will be Americans, but Obama will now have the political cover of being able to say that this is not a US led operation. The idea that a French general might be giving orders to our pilots during wartime makes me nauseous.

This is absolutely incredible. We are now begging our NATO allies to take over command of the operation. Of course, most of the men and military assets (or should I call them "kinetic assets"?) doing the heavy lifting will be Americans, but Obama will now have the political cover of being able to say that this is not a US led operation. The idea that a French general might be giving orders to our pilots during wartime makes me nauseous.

It's unbelievably sickening. The involved governments are tossing about the responsibility of command like a hot potato. Everyone wants to follow a "multilateral" effort in which the participants have no idea of their strategy, tactics or ultimate goal. This is a disaster in every conceivable way. Watch it turn into a never ending quagmire in spite of the relative military puniness of Libya. We are confronted with the spectacle of feckless and brainless leaders bickering about who's in charge of fighting an enemy who is a complete nutjob.

Now that we've established potential humanitarian crises as valid excuses for foreign military intervention, are we going to attack Syria?

I doubt it. At least with Syria you could make the case that such an attack would be in our national interest. Our president is the crown prince of multilateral altruism, so anything that might benefit the US is a non-starter for him.

The resume of a career jihad-i, Abdel-Hakim al-Hasadi:

Hasidi_1857433c.jpg

2001:

- fought against the evil American invaders in Afghanistan

2002:

- captured in Peshwar, Pakistan

- handed over to the American government

- transferred to Libya

2008:

- released by Libya

~2005-2008:

- recruited Libyan jihad-is to fight against the evil invaders in Iraq; these fighters are now under his command in Libya

2011, early March:

- the leader of the Libyan rebels

- still a great fan of al=Qaeda - "members of al-Qaeda are also good Muslims and are fighting against the invader"

- Al Qaeda has returned the favor, issuing a statement for Muslims to support the Libyan rebels, as that would lead to the imposition of "the stage of Islam" in the country;

- refuses the notion of non-Muslim military involvement in Libya, but would instead welcome Turkish help

2011, mid March:

- on the verge of seeing his forces annihilated by the Libyan army;

2011, late March:

- US, NATO ally (according to the US and NATO, he himself has expressed no such allegiance - probably thinks it would come across as plain silly if he did)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8407047/Libyan-rebel-commander-admits-his-fighters-have-al-Qaeda-links.html

So, now that Barry has gone on the tube and explained how noble he is for starting an unconstitutional war, is anyone impressed? Were you, like me, afraid the man was going to twist his neck right off tracking those teleprompters? We are supposed to hand over control of the operation Wed. to NATO, but I hear this morning NATO is not ready. My understanding is that the US is in charge of NATO, or did they turn it over to France when I wasn't looking? Does Barry even know what he is doing? Are these questions rhetorical?

Oh Barry, what ha' ye wrought?

Earlier this month, al-Qaeda issued a call for supporters to back the Libyan rebellion, which it said would lead to the imposition of "the stage of Islam" in the country.

British Islamists have also backed the rebellion, with the former head of the banned al-Muhajiroun proclaiming that the call for "Islam, the Shariah and jihad from Libya" had "shaken the enemies of Islam and the Muslims more than the tsunami that Allah sent against their friends, the Japanese".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8407047/Libyan-rebel-commander-admits-his-fighters-have-al-Qaeda-links.html

:dough:

All over the region, we have not (in this current uprising, anyway) removed a single bad actor. Ben Ali, Mubarak, Abdallah Salih, and Assad's government were removed without western intervention, and it looks very possible that Qaddhafi will not be going anywhere.

All over the region, we have not (in this current uprising, anyway) removed a single bad actor. Ben Ali, Mubarak, Abdallah Salih, and Assad's government were removed without western intervention, and it looks very possible that Qaddhafi will not be going anywhere.

You've been circling, waiting to pounce, haven't you? :lol:

We certainly encouraged Mubarak to leave and both Saleh in Yemen and Assad in Syria are still in power, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I like seeing crap blow up (I was a Combat Engineer )as much as the next guy.....

Max,

Since you're ex-military, what do you think about this claim that we don't have any boots on the ground in Libya? I would assume that to do any kind of close air support, you would need spotters to coordinate the strikes. Sounds like another big lie from President Hope and Change.

We certainly encouraged Mubarak to leave and both Saleh in Yemen and Assad in Syria are still in power, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

We encouraged Mubarak to leave, as we should have. Using rhetoric to push for dictators to step down and allow their countries to democratize is an appropriate and desirable thing for our government to do. It does not constitute intervention and certainly does not constitute "removing" anyone. And yes, Salih is in power but is preparing to step down. Assad is still in power but his government resigned.

And now for some comedic relief, ladies and gentlemen, William Kristol:

“He [Obama] didn’t come to me for help, of course,” Kristol said. “I’m not going to acknowledge that. He came to me to make sure I was supporting his sound policies. Of course, since his sound policies are more like the policies people like me have been advocating for quite a while, I’m happy to support them. He’s a born-again neo-con.”

“What’s the joke – they told me if I voted for McCain, we’d be going to war in a third Muslim country?” Kristol said. “I voted for McCain and we’re doing it.”

Bill Kristol declares Obama ‘a born-again neo-con’ days after consulting with him on Libya policy

Max,

Since you're ex-military, what do you think about this claim that we don't have any boots on the ground in Libya? I would assume that to do any kind of close air support, you would need spotters to coordinate the strikes. Sounds like another big lie from President Hope and Change.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/31/world/africa/31intel.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

They've been there for weeks, even when Congress was still in session.

And now for some comedic relief, ladies and gentlemen, William Kristol.....

Absolutely incredible. The Left's hypocrisy on Libya is so thick you could cut it with a knife.

They've been there for weeks, even when Congress was still in session.

Well, that figures. Now that the rebels have again shown themselves to be militarily incompetent, how long before our involvement grows?

We encouraged Mubarak to leave, as we should have. Using rhetoric to push for dictators to step down and allow their countries to democratize is an appropriate and desirable thing for our government to do. It does not constitute intervention and certainly does not constitute "removing" anyone. And yes, Salih is in power but is preparing to step down. Assad is still in power but his government resigned.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. For a second there, I thought you might be extremely confused.