Objectivism Online Forum

Dad of slain boy says he'll kill son's murderer

Rate this topic

Trebor

I'm in the effing position of defending some damned child killer here. Not a good place. All I'm saying is,the killer served his time. No victim can ever feel the punishment is enough. But that's for the law to decided. We can't each decide if we like a judgment and then go out and act ourselves.

I don't think that opposing a vigilante action by the father is tantamount to defending the killer here at all. It's simply a concrete application of the principle that punishment and retaliation need to be placed under objective controls in civilized society.

I'm in the effing position of defending some damned child killer here. Not a good place. All I'm saying is,the killer served his time. No victim can ever feel the punishment is enough. But that's for the law to decided. We can't each decide if we like a judgment and then go out and act ourselves. (On the other hand, any takers on taking out OJ - I can contribute some funds). It's legally wrong, and I think it's morally wrong to subject our subjective desires into the case. (That's what the dad is doing, unfortunately.) The power to punish lies with the court, and it did its job, whether or not we agree with the particulars. (Like I said, giving a 16-year old 28 years is actually not bad, considering some of the sentences I read about.) Killing a killer won't accomplish anything.

I think you might want to take a deep breath, you're starting to ignore what is being said in posts.

What is happening here is that people are taking a concrete (this case) and comparing it to abstractions (other known cases).

In the very post you quoted the OP asks what if no punishment was served about another situation and you are getting very upset as if he was talking about this case.

It seems that you are beginning to conflate this particular case and the abstractions presented.

I'm in the effing position of defending some damned child killer here.

You are not defending this particular person, you are defending the idea of a more objective system of justice. Don't lose sight of that.