Objectivism Online Forum

Atlas Shrugged: Official Movie Trailer and casting

Rate this topic

musenji

I have this sneaking suspicion that even seeing all of part one will not put all the fears to rest (assuming it doesn't outright confirm them), if only because there will be much left unsaid in part I, just as in the book where the characters were still trying to discover what was going on... and why. Similarly at the end of part I we (already knowing the correct answer, of course) won't be able to tell whether the "why" yet to be given is the _correct_ why.

Entirely selfishly, I would prefer that this is a terrible movie interpretation of Atlas, instead of a 'safe', and palatable one.

Audiences should leave the theatres in a state of shock and hope, as if they'd read the book.

But I'm hard to please.B)

New clip released:

Here is perhaps a more "official" site showing the same scene. (Thanks to HBL)

We can't expect ever to see a perfect movie made of AS and probably not even an excellent version but this clip does give me hope that the movie will exceed OK and may even be GOOD!!! (Don't get your hopes too high).

I thought the scene was really well acted by everyone involved. The subtleties of emotion and emphasis of speech are spot on. The wording is even good!! Wow, can you imagine if this film was nominated for an Academy Award!!! How much that would piss off liberals and altruists and how much more interest is would spark in the book!!!

(Too many exclamation points, I better settle down and come back to reality)

Also, check out the comments -- much better than usual.

Here is perhaps a more "official" site showing the same scene. (Thanks to HBL)

That is their official site, but it's just linking to their YouTube channel, which is what Soth did.

The movie has a very limited release, so I don't think the members of the Academy will even hear about it, except derisively on the Huffington Post.

Edited by brian0918

Wow, can you imagine if this film was nominated for an Academy Award!!! How much that would piss off liberals and altruists and how much more interest is would spark in the book!!!

Consider who the people are that tend to be part of the Academy Award process.

Edited by CapitalistSwine

The movie has a very limited release, so I don't think the members of the Academy will even hear about it, except derisively on the Huffington Post.

Unless they are the people posting the same six derogatory comments over and over again every time someone does something favorable to Ayn Rand on Youtube. As soon as a comment disappears onto page five or so of the comments, someone else (a different name at least) posts the same thing, verbatim.

I am pretty sure it's a coordinated campaign.

Hm... is anyone here from Europe or better yet from Slovenia? Becouse I'm wondering (and doubting) that I'll ever get to see it here :(

Well if anyone's from around here any info would be great!

I don't know about Slovenia, but lots of people here are from the internet and can point you toward Amazon.com for when it comes out on DVD (pretty sure Amazon will ship anywhere).

..Ah, boydstun beat me to noting that it will eventually be available on DVD. ah well. Point being, you will get to see it! Just not in the theater perhaps.

Hoping against hope that this is a good movie that is an honest recreation of the book, portraying the characters accurately. Even if there is no philosophy, it should still be able to generate a positive, capitalist sense of life and hopefully inspire some people to actually read the book. I doubt it will be as good as it should be, but I'll be happy as long as it is a good movie and not a hack job.

To help keep things in perspective, ask yourself if you've ever seen a movie made from a book you've already read that you thought was as good as the book. Below I've listed three movies I saw after I read the book (I'm sure there are others, but they don't immediately come to mind), along with my answer to the question whether the book was as good as the movie. I loved the books and am glad I saw the movies (in fact I plan to see them again!), but the movies were not as good as the book.

The Fountainhead - NO

Fantastic Voyage - NO

We The Living - NO

Please post your list of movies you've seen after you read the book along with your answers to the question whether the book was as good as the movie.

John Link

To help keep things in perspective, ask yourself if you've ever seen a movie made from a book you've already read that you thought was as good as the book.
After seeing a few movies from books, one realizes that the book has to be condensed. Once one accepts this, I think the question is not "was it as good as the book", but rather "was it as good a movie as the book was a book". Or even more simply: "was this a good movie?"

The Fountainhead - NO

Fantastic Voyage - NO

We The Living - NO

Of the two of those that I've seen, I loved We the Living, and was disappointed with Fountainhead, particularly with Gary Cooper who turned out to be an awful choice.

Fantastic Voyage - NO

In this case the book was actually made from the movie. (Your evaluation of their relative merits is good though.) Isaac Asimov was brought into the process after the script was ready, and he had many arguments over a lot of the stupidities of the script. (For example the submarine should have expanded when the people did, even though it was eaten by a corpuscle. Also cell membranes should have seemed many yards thick to the shrunken people.) He did what he could while writing the book, and worked fast enough that the book came out before the movie it was based on did.

Asimov was offered the chance to fly out to LA to meet the cast and turned it down as he did not like to fly (I believe he was phobic but I don't believe he ever outright said so himself). He certainly didn't recognize any of the names. When he saw the movie for the first time he realized that the only thing worse than flying was not getting to meet Racquel Welch in person.

Edited by Eiuol

In this case the book was actually made from the movie.

Very interesting!

(Your evaluation of their relative merits is good though.) Isaac Asimov was brought into the process after the script was ready, and he had many arguments over a lot of the stupidities of the script. (For example the submarine should have expanded when the people did, even though it was eaten by a corpuscle..

I think that's one of the absurdities I noticed when I saw the movie.

John Link

Edited by John Link

I don't know about Slovenia, but lots of people here are from the internet and can point you toward Amazon.com for when it comes out on DVD (pretty sure Amazon will ship anywhere).

..Ah, boydstun beat me to noting that it will eventually be available on DVD. ah well. Point being, you will get to see it! Just not in the theater perhaps.

I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer then till 15th of april then. Ah, well