Objectivism Online Forum

Atlas Shrugged: Official Movie Trailer and casting

Rate this topic

musenji

Does it strike anyone else that TaS, and now Kelly and Barbara Branden keep posting and talking about the movie, getting screenings etc? Whereas I've heard nothing out of Yarok Brook or anyone else in his circle. So what's the deal is the movie rights holder affiliated with TaS in some way or what? Why so cozy?

Well, I know David Kelley was a philosophical consultant for the movie. As to the other invitations, I don't know, but I was invited to a screening for being listed as the head of UCLA's (ARI-sanctioned) Objectivist club, so I would be really surprised if no ARI intellectuals were invited.

Incidentally, I quite enjoyed the movie. I'll definitely see it again when it hits theaters.

Does it strike anyone else that TaS, and now Kelly and Barbara Branden keep posting and talking about the movie, getting screenings etc? Whereas I've heard nothing out of Yarok Brook or anyone else in his circle. So what's the deal is the movie rights holder affiliated with TaS in some way or what? Why so cozy?

I have read that David Kelley was actually a consultant for the movie throughout its production. Which would also be, I imagine, the reason why he has several pictures of him, the producer, executive producer, and the woman that plays Dagny together. :dough: I know Yaron Brook has seen a screening or something of the sort, but I have not seen anything to indicate that any members of ARI were actually consultants for the movie or involved in the process whatsoever.

Also, I find it interesting that the reviewer at Reason.com states (and I think also implies in the title that he is an Objectivist) that he has not read Atlas Shrugged.

Edited by CapitalistSwine

They announced the initial list of cities for April 15:

Los Angeles (Orange County), San Francisco, Seattle, Philadelphia, Washington DC, New York City, South Florida, Boston, Denver, Dallas and Chicago.

I am not not sure, but they may be expanding into other cities as well, based on this quote:

“We are rapidly booking theaters and look forward to announcing more over the next several weeks. We're off to a great start.”
Edited by brian0918

I just read the following in my Facebook newsfeed from https://www.facebook.com/AtlasShruggedMovie:

Thanks so much for coming out to the D.C. event today! It was really great to meet all of you and snap some pics (we'll get'em up tomorrow)! Hope you enjoyed the film and had as much fun as we all did! Hope we get as big a turnout tomorrow in NYC. For those of you thinking about coming, PLEASE do! We'd love to say hello!

So it seems that Atlas Shrugged is going to be shown in New York tomorrow. Does anyone know exactly where or when?

John Link

I just read the following in my Facebook newsfeed from https://www.facebook.com/AtlasShruggedMovie:

So it seems that Atlas Shrugged is going to be shown in New York tomorrow. Does anyone know exactly where or when?

John Link

If you click the event link, it says where and when.

Time

Thursday, March 3 · 6:00pm - 8:00pm

Tribeca Cinemas - New York City

54 Varick Street

So here's this:

In a wide-ranging interview with The Daily Caller to be published Friday, John Aglialoro, the producer of the movie adaptation of the classic Ayn Rand novel “Atlas Shrugged,” hinted that part three of the movie trilogy might be made as a musical.

“But you know, part three could be a musical . . . like a Les Miserables kind of a musical,”

http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/03/thedc-exclusive-producer-of-atlas-shrugged-movie-says-part-three-of-trilogy-could-be-a-musical/#ixzz1FZZiCgTD

For what it's worth, to those who weren't aware:

Andrew Bernstein

Just saw the Atlas Shrugged movie as a special preview in NYC. Despite many minor criticisms, overall I liked it alot. On a scale of 1-10, rate it as a 7. Good job by John Aglioloro and all associated with the project. Not easy to do a good artistic rendition of Part One in 100 minutes. Absorbed my attention thoroughly--and will definitely see it again, when it opens in NY in April.

23 hours ago · Unlike ·

Cool. I can trust that Andrew won't give a piece of trash a 7. I';ve been suspicious because thus far a bunch of Kelley/Brandenites have been praising the thing to the roof.

This is exactly why I decided to post this here.

Hoping to hear from John Link.....

I decided that I wasn't willing to go to the theater with the risk of being turned away, so I didn't go to the screening. Maybe that was a mistake. I would have loved to have seen the movie Thursday night.

John Link

I decided that I wasn't willing to go to the theater with the risk of being turned away, so I didn't go to the screening. Maybe that was a mistake. I would have loved to have seen the movie Thursday night.

John Link

Doggone it!

Well, I've done some poking around, and it seems like the only truly negative reviews are people who hated the book anyway. So here is hoping...! 41 days to go.

I frankly do not trust any Objectivism-centric websites to provide an objective (no pun intended) review of this movie. If it is a well-made movie but the philosophy is not close enough to that of the book, it will be torn to shreds and no one will give the filmmakers an ounce of credit for the artistic quality. If (as is more likely) the movie is ineptly made but the philosophy is a passable--if abridged--reflection of the book, then Objectivist reviews will be singing its praises.

Based on the trailers I've seen, I see no reason to think the philosophy will not be fairly presented. But the acting looks horrendous, and the director (along with all the actors and writers) are a bunch of no-names who have not a single cinematic accomplishment of any renown. Maybe this will be their first...but I doubt it. A project as ambitious as this needs to be pulled off by accomplished filmmakers with decades of experience and a proven track-record of tackling deep-think topics.

Many of the best books are inherently uncinematic, and I fear that even a collaborative effort by Hitchcock, Scorsese, and Kubrick would fail to turn Atlas Shrugged into a watchable movie. It would be like trying to turn a Michael Bay movie into an 1100 page philosophical novel. I don't know how widely this will be released, or if mainstream critics will even review it. But it will take a positive review from Ebert (or someone on his general level) for me to change my mind about seeing it.

Cliff's Notes version, for those of us who don't want to spend 16 minutes watching it?

Brook finishes discussing the movie itself and his impressions of it within 4 minutes. I stopped watching after 8 minutes because they were onto follow-up questions and it's possible he said more of significance after that.

If you cannot spare four minutes, it's probably not worth your trouble to ask in the first place.