Objectivism Online Forum

The Value of Arguing With Others: Why Arguing Improves Students' R

Rate this topic

There's a significant difference in mental context between applying reason to integrate concepts (extremely important at young age) and applying reason to win arguments. These children are being taught implicitly that reality is little more than a gladiator arena where you desperately defend your subjectivity from outsiders.

Edited by Mister A

There's a significant difference in mental context between applying reason to integrate concepts (extremely important at young age) and applying reason to win arguments.

All the article talked about is how some educators think argumentative reasoning should be taught. Not that *only* argumentative reasoning should be taught. Likely this involves teaching basic logic and deductive reasoning.

I also don't see the problem here. I read the article as saying that the emphasis is being put on oral argument as opposed to written. I don't see that it means that the oral arguments are superficial/wrong/weird, etc. Quite the contrary, having to verbalize ones opinion helps with integration.

Am I missing something?

There's a significant difference in mental context between applying reason to integrate concepts (extremely important at young age) and applying reason to win arguments. These children are being taught implicitly that reality is little more than a gladiator arena where you desperately defend your subjectivity from outsiders.

They are being taught to defend their positions on issues through logical debate; that is, they are being taught to justify why they believe what they do.

They're being taught to articulate their beleifs, what's wrong with that? You can be a very intelligent person, study regularly, and still be unprepared to respond to challenges to your knowledge. This may be why William Lane Craig wins so many debates, despite rehashing ancient arguments and never changing his formats.