Objectivism Online Forum

The most amazing animal on earth

Rate this topic

Amaroq

Hey guys. I was sending a response to a debate I had gotten myself into on an e-mail list. And one of the things I said struck me as particularly amazing after I said it. I think I'm going to take it as a personal quote of mine.

"Why is it that people will swoon over a seagull cracking a clam on a rock, about how smart that bird must be to do that, and nobody gives a damn about the animal that can build machines and skyscrapers and computers? We're the most amazing animal on earth, yet the one that most of our species hates the most."

-Me.

Has anyone said anything like this before? I don't want to be unknowingly stealing it if they have. Either way I'll probably take it as a personal quote of mine.

This is a great quote. It can be expanded and clarified.

I live in a college town. I am saturated with misanthropic statements such as that people are viruses on the planet. People are poluters. The population explosion will kill the Earth. The Earth will be better when people are gone. I hear this daily from relatively sane people.

There are even popular TV show portraying the pastoral life of animals when the Earth returns to normal in "Life After People". In these shows there is always someone monitoring the CO2 content returning to normal, and what happens when space aliens arive. Maybe this is a subtle clue that if you switch sides now and work for Gaia you will be allowed to remain after the rest of your race has perrished.

None of my friends see any of the products they are wearing or viewing Youtube videos on as a product of mans destinguishing characteristics.