Objectivism Online Forum

Pity For The Guilty

Rate this topic

roscov6

America's judges pity the guilty, and give them light sentences, or release them back into society, and this encourages some of the guilty to commit more crime. People guilty of crimes, along with those who pity them, are sick and weak, and should be culled from society, instead of living in society. Nietzsche had some words about bad people, and I have adapted his words to the following:

The sick are the greatest danger for the well. The weak are the strong's undoing. What is to be dreaded by us more than any other doom is pity for the guilty. Those who pity the guilty are just as guilty as the guilty, and are born wrong, miscarried, and broken, and it is they who undermine the vitality of the race, poison our trust in life, and put humanity in question. Every look of the guilty, and the pity-ers, is a sigh - 'Would I were something else. I am sick and tired of what I am.' In this swamp soil of self contempt, every poisonous weed flourishes, and all so small, so secret, so dishonest, and so sweetly rotten. Here swarm the worms of sensitivity, and resentment; here the air smells odious with secrecy, with what is not to be acknowledged; here is woven endlessly the net of the meanest of conspiracies, the conspiracy of those who suffer against those who succeed, and are victorious; here the very aspect of victorious is hated - as if health, success, strength, pride were in themselves things vicious, for which one ought eventually to make bitter expiation. Oh, how these people would themselves like to inflict the expiation, how they thirst to be the hangmen! (Zur Genealogie der Moral, Dritte Abhandlung) Adapted from a quotation by William James.

Actually, I think the judges who pity the guilty are more guilty than the guilty, because they are supposed to be our defense against crime, and their pity for the guilty is treason, as Ayn Rand said.

The solution to the problem is to spread ARI Objectivism.

America's judges pity the guilty, and give them light sentences, or release them back into society, and this encourages some of the guilty to commit more crime.  People guilty of crimes, along with those who pity them, are sick and weak, and should be culled from society, instead of living in society.

Do you have some evidence that judges pity the guilty? That seems like a factual matter, and I'm wondering what led you to that conclusion. For example, are you saying this because judges do not always impose the maximum sentence allowed under the law? As you know, judges are required to uphold the law and they cannot impose sentences that exceed that allowed under the law.

There are very many circumstances where a judge should impose a light sentence (including for example probation). Possession of controlled substances would be one example: the proper function of government does not include regulating what you do with your body. Similarly, prostitution should never result in arrest (much less jail time). The only defensible circumstance for imprisoning a person is if they violate the rights of another person. Given that, do you have any factual evidence regarding the behavior of America's judges, in sentencing rights-violators? Or is this just a guess on your part?

Do you have some evidence that judges pity the guilty? That seems like a factual matter, and I'm wondering what led you to that conclusion.

Supreme Court judges hand down many opinions that make it harder for the innocent to defend themselves, or for them to be defended. Many lower court judges use judicial review to prevent voter approved laws from becoming effective, such as Oregon's Measure 37. The most innocent activity in the world is earning a living, and a judge in Oregon just now issued an order to stop people who want to log, so they are jobless - which means the innocent were not pitied, and that leaves only one kind who is pitied.

These are judges. They in fact did these things.

Supreme Court judges hand down many opinions that make it harder for the innocent to defend themselves, or for them to be defended.

Before you go off in that direction, you should provide the evidence I asked for that judges pity the guilty. You're backpeddling by restricting this to Supreme Court justices, and by generally changing the topic to the accusation that courts restrict the right of self defense. Changing the charge so that now it's only a fault of appellate judges without admitting that your original claim is wrong is irresponsible. And of course now you've made a new false accusation, which I invite you to substantiate. I invite you to locate one Supreme Court decision.

Many lower court judges use judicial review to prevent voter approved laws from becoming effective, such as Oregon's Measure 37.
Okay; would you please provide a link to the relevant decision? I don't know about this decision. I thought the law was just approved a couple of weeks ago, so I wasn't aware that it was overturned already.

The most innocent activity in the world is earning a living, and a judge in Oregon just now issued an order to stop people who want to log, so they are jobless - which means the innocent were not pitied, and that leaves only one kind who is pitied.

That is one of the most ridiculous arguments that I've ever seen. Consider this alternative: judges have no pity.

Why is it that some members on this forum are very eager to look for examples of cultural failure in America, anxiously awaiting news of the apocalypse?

Actually that's a rhetorical question; I suspect the reason is because these people secretly hope inside for the bleak future in Atlas Shrugged to come to pass, and eagerly look for all signs of this happening, even fictitious ones. Thus spring up threads like the one we have here, or like this one, based on dubious foundations and absurdly broad generalizations, but at least supplied with grand Objectivist sounding titles.

I suspect the reason is because these people secretly hope inside for the bleak future in Atlas Shrugged to come to pass, and eagerly look for all signs of this happening, even fictitious ones.

I think that is for the same reason that some people enjoy war and find it fascinating. It is because of the struggle and the challenge.

To quote a scene from AS even though I am not sure about the meaning of the lines.

"-It's the end. (Dagny)

-It's the beginning (Galt)

"

I don't know what Ayn Rand meant by this but I interpret it as that Dagny actually enjoyed the struggle and challenge she had faced. It is the same for some people who want such larger-than-life, melodramatic scenarios to happen.

Why is it that some members on this forum are very eager to look for examples of cultural failure in America, anxiously awaiting news of the apocalypse?

Actually that's a rhetorical question; I suspect the reason is because these people secretly hope inside for the bleak future in Atlas Shrugged to come to pass, and eagerly look for all signs of this happening, even fictitious ones.

In my experience, the most likely reason is that the person is unhappy or afraid and he is looking for the cause -- ESPECIALLY a cause that is someone else's fault and not his own.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be hard to find a judge in America who denies Christianity..........who would openly, and deliberately ridicule crucifiction, and sacrifice. Therefore, most American judges appear to embrace Christianity, which means to love the enemy. The enemy is crime. A particular judge might secretly feel that a particular criminal is a rotten person, and deserves extreme punishment, but the judge must keep up appearances, and release the criminal because there is no room in the jail, according to the law.

The judge is merely following orders, and cannot be blamed. As long as he pretends to be a Christian, Heaven holds a place for him. Not to mention his place in society.