Objectivism Online Forum

Inside the Mind of Ayn Rand -- New Feature Film

Rate this topic

A new feature film is in production and I'm very excited about this. I've seen one of the documentaries. Upon viewing that documentary, I was drawn in and riveted in my seat - couldn't wait to see what else was to come. Because of the first documentary I've seen and very much enjoyed, I'm very much in anticipation of this one. Also, if you are so inclined to help support, even just a bit, and getting Ayn's ideas out there at a time that it is much needed, absolutely wonderful and a very worthy cause.

Try Freedom!

If Ayn Rand were alive today, that might well be what she would cry out as she watched our nation careen toward disaster...

· Massive government

· Oppressive regulation

· Out of control spending

· Complete abandonment of the Constitution

Since the founding of our country, there has never been a time more urgently in need of embracing Rand’s ideas of limited government, free markets, and reason. And today, the best way to spread ideas to the general public is through film and television. To that end, I’d like to tell you about Inside the Mind of Ayn Rand - a new 90 minute documentary film that probes Rand’s core ideas and explores the relevance of her unconventional views on the fundamental issues facing the world today.

Many years ago, I was fortunate to work with Rand during the recovery and restoration of We the Living, the film based on her first novel. Over the years, I produced other films that promote Rand’s point of view. Now, I’m calling out to everyone who has been inspired by her books--or simply appreciates that people thrive when they are free--to help me spread her ideas by supporting Inside the Mind of Ayn Rand.

Not only are Rand’s ideas most needed right now, this is the best time to make a film about them.

Why?

Rand is everywhere in the news today. Curiosity about her is at an all time high. From newspapers and radio to Jon Stewart, The Simpsons to Mad Men, people are talking about Ayn Rand. Her novel, Atlas Shrugged, has been lauded around the world for anticipating the current crisis and penetrating the underlying causes. And now, as the film version, Atlas Shrugged, Part One, opens in theaters this month, millions more will be eager to learn more about Rand. But while many understand that she advocated for free markets and individualism, the underlying core of her philosophy is still vague or misunderstood for much of the general public.

Inside the Mind of Ayn Rand is the first major film to examine the full range of her ideas. Using all the powerful tools of film--images, words, music pacing, and storytelling-- our documentary will bring the viewer on a voyage of discovery of the essential components of her philosophy....

Inside the Mind of Ayn Rand - New Feature Film

Also their Facebook Page

Inside the Mind of Ayn Rand

I'd be very curious as to the film creator's actual grasp of Objectivism (and in what way he intends to speak about it) before wanting to fund him. Does he actually understand or does he only think he understands in a superficial political way?

If I am not mistaken, he worked side by side with Ayn Rand on the We the Living revision (I read a very lengthy, I think 4-5 page article once by the director about specific parts within the movie and Ayn Rand's remarks throughout the entire creation process, which was very interesting). I cannot recall if this is this man or not but I am leaning towards that being the case. He has, apparently, made some other excellent documentaries/works before and he did state that the money would in part be for in-depth research purposes. Obviously, his actual knowledge I cannot be certain of, but I am more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt than those idiots making the movie that can't pronounce her name and think that free market Capitalism means the powerful will exploit the lowly and that the world is full of grays, all paraphrased quotes from the AS director on video. I am going to guess that if either institute decided to give him money that they would have vetted him first, which is also why I decided to suggest (on facebook) he check with them if he hasn't done so already to assist with his funding needs.

I personally found that Ayn Rand Sense of Life documentary to be the most boring documentary I have ever seen and I almost fell asleep on two occasions while watching it. I can only imagine the reaction to it by a non-Objectivist. So, I would be quite excited to see a well-done documentary of this nature coming out along with ARI's in the works Atlas Shrugged documentary.

Edited by CapitalistSwine

If I am not mistaken, he worked side by side with Ayn Rand on the We the Living revision (I read a very lengthy, I think 4-5 page article once by the director about specific parts within the movie and Ayn Rand's remarks throughout the entire creation process, which was very interesting). I cannot recall if this is this man or not but I am leaning towards that being the case. He has, apparently, made some other excellent documentaries/works before and he did state that the money would in part be for in-depth research purposes.

In addition to working directly with Ayn Rand on We, The Living, Duncan Scott is the prime mover behind The Objectivist History Project. Although I don't know that he has ever expounded on his own views, he is obviously very familiar with the philosophy of Objectivism, and his actions clearly indicate that one of his goals is to use his skill as a filmmaker to spread her ideas.

I contacted Duncan Scott through the facebook page for the film. The conversation was as follows:

Ryan Bell Mr. Duncan, I am very excited for this documentary and you have done fabulous work in the past. However, I have noticed that you are still looking for $33,000 to get this project rolling. While I do not have any funds I can donate to you, I have been curious if you have made the Ayn Rand Institute and the Atlas Society aware of this project. My suspicion is one if not both may be willing to help you financially to some degree.

Yesterday at 4:07pm · Like

Duncan Scott Thank you for your input. Some individuals at both organizations are already aware of our film and we are in the process of contacting the rest.

So it appears the Ayn Rand Institute is, at the very least, aware of it's development, as is The Atlas Society.