Objectivism Online Forum

An Introduction

Rate this topic

I've been around posting for a few months now and just stumbled upon this thread. I probably should have started here instead of elsewhere, in hindsight.

My name's David. I'm 18 and will be attending the University of Florida this year to study aerospace/mechanical engineering. I was introduced to Objectivism through my girlfriend, who led me to read Atlas Shrugged almost 7 months ago. In turn, I began to dive into Ayn Rand's works and Peikoff's podcasts. From there, I ran across this website. Since then, I've read The Virtue of Selfishness and will be working on The Fountainhead and OPAR this summer.

My father's a lawyer while my mother's a preacher. I have grown up with a logical mind and a spiritual foundation of faith in an upper-middle class family and it was only a matter of time before they conflicted. With that being said, I'm in the midst of reading anything and everything I can regarding theism and the lack thereof, and am almost finished with George Smith's Atheism: The Case Against God, Dawkins' The God Delusion, selected works by Harris, and have read all of C.S. Lewis' texts, some of Tillich's systematic theology, and other religious works. Weighing both sides of it and will hopefully soon come to a conclusion. Along the way I've run into Pantheism, and saw that as the perfect starting point to attack the issue of supernaturalism. I've made much progress since then, thanks to you guys.

And I've also become more interested in political philosophy, and was very strongly pulled by Rothbard and Hayek regarding anarcho-capitalism. I've since reverted to a miniarch perspective, but still have several interests in that area. This was also helped by reading Bastiat's The Law. I'm very economically-inclined, at least for my age, and enjoy reading about Austrian Economics via the Mises Institute.

As far as hobbies go, I write poetry and am in the midst of writing a novel. I enjoy construction through woodworking and I play chess. Hopefully I can combine the two and carve out my own personal chess set. I play basketball, ultimate frisbee, and I swim in my spare time. It's been a pleasure getting to know some of you, and I hope to expand my Objectivist base and grow in my knowledge.

Thank you.

David

• 2 months later...