Objectivism Online Forum

Portrait of a woman

Rate this topic

Alfa

Thought i'd post a little drawing I did recently(in Photoshop). The idea was to study value, without any intention of showing it to anyone, but i'm quite happy with how it turned out(especially considering my 2D skills are a real weakness, which is why I made this). Hope you enjoy. :)

33dy0px.jpg

Thanks!

I used a photo reference, with some minor changes to the drawing as not to just copy it completely(a more mature face, tweaking the expression a bit and trying to play a little with soft and hard edges in an attempt to make the eye center more on the face).

I'm trying to devote more time to get better at constructing faces(and figures) from imagination. Which, for me atleast, is the hardest part of the drawing process. One reason perhaps being that i'm so used to working in 3D, and that means I really have to twist my mind around when translating those forms into 2D.

You call that weak 2D skills? Wonder how your 3D drawings look like then...

Great job! :D

Haha, thanks! :)

Nah, it's got more to do with the ratio of crap I have to produce in order to arrive at something that looks good. It's like writing a novel in a foreign language. Maybe it turns out well at the end, but if you're struggling with the grammar and need a dictionary you haven't exactly mastered the language yet.

Maybe i'll post some 3d work in the future, when I have something I can or want to show. :)

Can you post the reference?

Sure.

Portrait of girl in profile

It's just a picture I found through google, and I thought she had a nice profile. :)

BTW, I just added to your reputation trying to multi quote. Perhaps i'm not as tech-savvy as I like to think, or i'm just running out of coffee in the blood stream, but um... yeah, you're welcome. :D

• 6 months later...

Great job transforming her eye and mouth expression (doesn't seem depressed to me, rather matured, or thinking instead of posing) - not to mention your good skills, . Actually great job in transforming a girl into a beautiful woman.

I don't like the way the cloth folds render her breast boxy, do you?