Objectivism Online Forum

Lost

Rate this topic

jfortun

I've been watching this show from the begining. I actually posted about it two months ago. Its good entertainment although I don't know how rational it will be. As to "Locke" and "Rousseau", its interesting that they chose those two. They both wrote on "the state of nature" arriving at diametrically opposite views. Rousseau believed in the "noble savage" which was corrupted by civilized society while Locke believed man to be essentially noble and productive by nature who secured his freedoms and property through government. As Objectivists, we know the greatness of Locke, but I don't know how well the writers of "Lost" understand him or his legacy. I suspect that at some point in the show there is going to be a conflict between the survivors. Maybe that conflict will involve starting two different "societies" based on the ideas of the two different philosophers but I don't know if the writers will get that philosophical, this is popular television after all. And also, it seems that the writers may stress the science fiction elements of the show more, although I hope they don't.

For the record, so far, my favorite character is either Jack, Sayid, or Locke. Some of Locke's dialog has been amazing such as in the episode "Moth" where he gave an amazing speech about the importance of choices (I can't say enough how awesome that episode was, the best hour of television I have ever seen. It dealt with a drug addict overcoming his addiction and finding strength within himself. Locke gives a speech using a moth's struggle to break through its cacoon to stress to the addicted Charlie the importance of choice and thus free will; simply amazing). I hope they don't turn Locke into a villian as they have given greater mystery to his back story than the others. I like Jack's heroism, his efficacy and willingness to face reality, ie the fact that they may not be rescued. As for Sayid, at first I thought how PC to have a sympathetic Iraqi, but his character is well written and heroic as well. And he is the engineer-type of the group. I admire his dedication to finding the source of the french transmission. His episode "Solitary" was also a great hour of television.

All in all a good show. Although I doubt that there will be many Rand inspired ideas as the show moves towards its supernatural or conspiracy oriented finale.

I managed to watch Lost for a few weeks, the last episode i saw did seem to go all supernatural with Jack seeing his father and the other being able to walk so i was a bit disappointed. I miss Alias!! Jennifer Garner is going to be in the Elektra movie coming out in January but i like her best as our favorite butt-kicking spy. :D

I managed to watch Lost for a few weeks, the last episode i saw did seem to go all supernatural with Jack seeing his father and the other being able to walk so i was a bit disappointed.

That's the flaw with the show, the fact that its appeal is to supernatualism. With each week the show moves farther and farther away from reality oriented fiction. But the shows producers wont do this explicitly so they stradle the fence about whether the island is mystical or not. For example, in the episode you mentioned where Jack thinks he sees his father, the show did not make it defiinitive if he really saw the ghost of his father or if the isalnd causes such visions or if he were just exhausted and sleep deprived. This is the method the show uses for each new development on the island. So even though the writers have introduced such philosophical names as Locke and Rousseau, it doesn't matter because the island the survivors are trying to live in is not part of reality but some Twilight Zone scenerion where they're confronted with polar bears (on an island in the South Pacific), ghosts, "whispers", and unseen monsters.

Even if eventually the writers give somewhat plausable explanations for these they have been selling the "mystery" of the island and by implication its supernatural qualities. So the show seems that it will be limited by its science fiction elements. That being said, on its own terms its not badly written (sometimes the writing is actually excellent), and it is well acted. Its good entertainment.

I miss Alias!! Jennifer Garner is going to be in the Elektra movie coming out in January but i like her best as our favorite butt-kicking spy. :D

I hope the Elektra movie will be better than the dull Daredevil movie. If they keep Ben Affleck away it won't be hard. :D

I miss Alias, too. It's one of the few TV series worth watching regularly.

For the record, show creators J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof have actually stated that everything on the show could actually happen, so while certain characters may view the island as having a supernatural nature, I don't believe the writers are taking it that way.

I will keep watching to find out.

For the record, show creators J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof have actually stated that everything on the show could actually happen, so while certain characters may view the island as having a supernatural nature, I don't believe the writers are taking it that way.

I will keep watching to find out.

I've actually read that too. For every supernatural suggestion implied there is always a plausable explanttion offered as well. I guess that is the charm of the show. I too will keep watching as I am hooked.

Not to mention that I am falling in love with Evangeline Lilly, freckles and all.