Objectivism Online Forum

Molyneux's Question

Rate this topic

"The change in the children's ability to integrate touch and vision happens too fast to be explained by major rewiring in the brain, Pascual-Leone says"

According to which model?

The "innate" people could make a lot out of this, while a Lockean would respond that the association between touch and vision is acquired after experience and therefore "no innate ideas" survives.

Aren't these ideas already covered under how the brain is physically built so that certain groups of brain cells have evolved to handle certain types of sensory input and shapes, together?

This is from a few years ago in a cognitive psych class, but from what I remember, there are cells that better handle "round" shapes. So although the concept "apple" isn't there, the ability to integrate and form the concept from combinations of sensory data is. Then, after a kid has formed the "apple" concept from feel, attributing the sight of an apple to the same cells is very fast, just a matter of attributing new data under an old concept.

More interesting might be a kid with only the ability to smell an apple and not see or feel it, then see how fast the association works upon correction of the deaf or blindness. I think it would work the same as above, but it might rule out the "round" cells' previous activation.

But I could be very mistaken; that class was a long time ago.