Objectivism Online Forum

Capleton's Introduction!

Rate this topic

Greetings everyone!

I consider myself to be an Objectivist. The thing is that I am more inclined to support TOC than ARI. This is not to say that I do not like ARI but that most of the information I have gotten about Objectivism comes from TOC. The ARI websites doesn't have that much commentary on social issues and philosophical matters from what I have seen. My desire to learn more about Objectivism was aided by TOC and it is for this very reason that I lean more towards them (I am new to Objectivism). I do not however agree with all of Rand’s personal views but I am in total agreement with her philosophy. I am an advocate of individual rights, capitalism (separation of economy & state) and of rational egoism. I am of the view that reality is knowable and that the primary means for a human consciousness to recognize and deal with it is by reason.

I am fairly new to Objectivism so I beg that you all bear with me. I am here to learn and share in the philosophy of reason, Objectivism. Am I welcomed to this forum since I align myself (provisionally) with TOC?

On another note, I was under the impression that DonGalt was harshly treated but that was before I saw him post something about Objectivism being compatible with a variant of Anarchism. At that point I was appalled! Anyhow, I hope I will be well received at this site and I look to an intellectually rewarding experience.

Edited by Capleton

Welcome to the board, Capleton!

ARI does have a wealth of information on Objectivism and its application to current issues from a philosophical perspective. For info on the philosophy itself, click here; for its application, click here. There are a few years worth of articles on there, so that should keep you busy for a while. ;)

TOC's website does have some good information on Objectivism on it, but overall I find the quality of ARI's content to be higher. (Plus, it is more consistently an accurate representation of the philosophy.) I encourage you to keep looking into the issue yourself, and come to your own conclusion.

Just out of curiosity, which of Ayn Rand's works have you already read? (Those should, of course, be your primary source for information about the philosophy.)

Is it worth knowing that I have read virtually everything on ARI’s Web site prior to this date I especially like the Op-Eds that they have periodically. I also visit the Capitalism.org Website, which is one of my favorites.

I have read a lot of Objectivism online but I have not actually read any of Rand's books (due to lack of finances in the past). I did however read some of her essays including "The Roots of War", "The Cult of Moral Grayness", "Faith and Force" along with others. I also read "Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand" by Leonard Peikoff. That is not to say that I am not familiar with the philosophy but reading her works is vital to me nonetheless. In a couple of days I would be starting "Atlas Shrugged" while I wait for my order of most of her books to arrive at my residence. Anyhow, thanks for the welcome and I do hope that I have answered your questions satisfactorily.

I think I will stick with TOC!

Edit: I am not explicitly supporting any organization at this time. I do however remain an Objectivist. To date I have read 80% percent of Rand's writings.