Objectivism Online Forum

If you are on a plane with someone

Rate this topic

Black Wolf

If you are on a plane that you personally own with a passenger, do you get to push him off the plane? You made no written contract with him, and you made no agreement with him that you would be responsible for his safety. If the guy is bothering you and basically being a rude guest, or just basically being a bother, do you get to push him off in a society of individual rights? Are you responsible for his airbag?

If you are on a plane that you personally own with a passenger, do you get to push him off the plane? You made no written contract with him, and you made no agreement with him that you would be responsible for his safety. If the guy is bothering you and basically being a rude guest, or just basically being a bother, do you get to push him off in a society of individual rights? Are you responsible for his airbag?

Of course you do have a contract with the passenger, you do have an agreement about his safety, if the conditions under which his choice to get on your airplane being voluntary and thus demands that you return him safely to the ground. By accepting the passenger as his passenger under those conditions, he has chosen an obligation to take positive action on the passenger's behalf. If he chooses not to uphold that obligation, he is violating the passenger's right to life.

People can voluntarily choose to place one another in positions where positive action is required such as the failure to take would result in the death of one of them. This is part of the concept of contract: delivering previously agreed-upon actions.

You might as well have framed the question this way... If you invite a guest to your home and he becomes rude and obnoxious do you get to shoot him?

You see it isn't the location, or even the fact that you own the house, plane, boat or whatever it is the action.

Being bothered is not a threat to your life and limb and therefore you do not have any right under any circumstances to violate the real, actual right to life of anyone for being rude and or bothersome.

Being bothered is not a threat to your life and limb and therefore you do not have any right under any circumstances to violate the real, actual right to life of anyone for being rude and or bothersome.

Well dammit! there go my plans for the weekend. ;)

With questions like this I feel as though the context of morality(or law if it's a legal question) is completely dropped in order to produce an apparent contradiction.

If I give my money voluntarily to a grocery store cashier and then he refuses to let me take my groceries home because I didn't have a signed contract, has he violated my rights? After all, how was he to know that the money I handed him wasn't just a gift? There are reasonable expectations that civilization operates under to avoid a bureaucratic nightmare.

Other notable favorites are "Well, I never SAID you were the only woman I was sleeping with," or "I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you," with a finger an inch from someone's eye.

You might as well have framed the question this way... If you invite a guest to your home and he becomes rude and obnoxious do you get to shoot him?

You see it isn't the location, or even the fact that you own the house, plane, boat or whatever it is the action.

But I'm not talking about just killing someone because they are bothering me. I am talking about ejecting someone from something I own. If I agree to fly someone on my plane, under the assumption that the person is not going to harass me, do I still have an obligation to fly him to safety when he violates that assumption

Edited by Black Wolf

But you are. What would be the final result of ejecting a bothersome person from your aircraft at 30,000 feet? The answer is his death. Why was he killed? Not because he was on your property, you let him be on your property in the first place. The reason he was killed was because he was bothersome on your property ergo you decided to kill him because he was bothersome. The rest is just window dressing as I stated before.

But I'm not talking about just killing someone because they are bothering me. I am talking about ejecting someone from something I own. If I agree to fly someone on my plane, under the assumption that the person is not going to harass me, do I still have an obligation to fly him to safety when he violates that assumption

Not all contracts have to be written in order to be valid.