Objectivism Online Forum

SEIU is a communist front group

Rate this topic

It continues to boggle my mind that these people could be so open in espousing an ideology that is responsible for killing millions of people throughout the last century. Even if one isn't into philosophy, just the plain facts would suggest that "hey, maybe communism isn't so great if all these people died while it was in practice". What is their explanation for the collapse of the USSR, or China moving towards freer markets, or the hundreds of thousands of starving and dying in N. Korea?

Morality (Lexicon):

"In spite of all their irrationalities, inconsistencies, hypocrisies and evasions, the majority of men will not act, in major issues, without a sense of being morally right and will not oppose the morality they have accepted. They will break it, they will cheat on it, but they will not oppose it; and when they break it, they take the blame on themselves. The power of morality is the greatest of all intellectual powers—and mankind’s tragedy lies in the fact that the vicious moral code men have accepted destroys them by means of the best within them." "Faith and Force: The Destroyers of the Modern World,"

Philosophy: Who Needs It, 67.

Communism (Lexicon):

"When men share the same basic premise, it is the most consistent ones who win. So long as men accept the altruist morality, they will not be able to stop the advance of communism. The altruist morality is Soviet Russia’s best and only weapon." "Conservatism: An Obituary," Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal, 196.

All of the destruction and deaths will not matter in the face of acting according to what is held to be good.

It continues to boggle my mind that these people could be so open in espousing an ideology that is responsible for killing millions of people throughout the last century. Even if one isn't into philosophy, just the plain facts would suggest that "hey, maybe communism isn't so great if all these people died while it was in practice". What is their explanation for the collapse of the USSR, or China moving towards freer markets, or the hundreds of thousands of starving and dying in N. Korea?

Meanwhile they have one financial crisis that they THINK was caused by capitalism and they're screaming how it had its chance... :dough:

This filled me with such rage that I had to get out of the house and think for a while.

Most of the time, when I see people promoting some evil idea such as communism, my optimism for human goodness makes me think that they don't know what they're talking about. Surely if they knew what they were doing, they would stop. Surely they must have good intentions and were tricked somehow into doing what they're doing.

But there's only so many benefits of the doubt you can give before you have to realize that they really are vile, evil people. And that's what I'm grappling with right now.

I posted an editorial on Deviant Art on this subject. I just had to stand up and say something about it, I was so angry. Any constructive criticism on the article? Or even just praise of it. Any ideas on where else I can post it where it will have a better effect?

http://news.deviantart.com/article/150569/

• 1 month later...

I posted an editorial on Deviant Art on this subject. I just had to stand up and say something about it, I was so angry. Any constructive criticism on the article? Or even just praise of it. Any ideas on where else I can post it where it will have a better effect?

http://news.deviantart.com/article/150569/

You have my sympathy, DA isn't the best bastion of capitalism. It's really sad, because in a communist society, artist are usually the first on the chopping block.