Objectivism Online Forum

Let's get Yaron Brook on "Adam vs. The Man"

Rate this topic

• 3 weeks later...

You want Brook to go on the Russian Al Jazeera? Why? :confused:

1. I have never seen any actual good reason, and 90% of the time no reason at all is provided, to dislike Al Jazeera. Please provide one.

2. Russia Today is fine. That is where I get most of my news these days. They are the most Libertarian style MSM-like (i.e. as in technology/money put into it) news organization I am aware of.

• 2 years later...

"Kokesh’s open carry protest stemmed out of his call for a “new American revolution” that would have involved a march on all 50 state capitols. The former Iraq vet had previously planned to lead an armed march on Washington DC on Independence Day."

Yeah.... From that article. I don't trust InfoWars anyway, but in its own article there is (probably) reason for a raid.

1. I have never seen any actual good reason, and 90% of the time no reason at all is provided, to dislike Al Jazeera. Please provide one.

They have a heavy anti-American and anti-Israeli bias. And, in general, they are more concerned with populism and furthering various points of view than presenting facts in an intelligent way.

2. Russia Today is fine. That is where I get most of my news these days. They are the most Libertarian style MSM-like (i.e. as in technology/money put into it) news organization I am aware of.

Then you're getting your news from the propaganda arm of the Putin regime. Last time I checked, Vladimir Putin wasn't a Libertarian.

With Kokesh making headlines recently, I expect he will get a decent viewership bump, making an even better publicity opportunity for Brook.

By that logic, Yaron should do a show with Charlie Manson next.

Also, Yaron likes The Man. Check out his talk on corporations. Hell, he is The Man. Why would he associate with people who are versusing "The Man".

Edited by Nicky

A U.S. Park Police SWAT team and other officers knocked on the door of his single-family home on a quiet Herndon cul-de-sac, then kicked the door in and tossed a flash grenade into the foyer as police helicopters whirled overhead, his roommates said.

The rabble-rouser and Iraq war veteran who promised “we will not obey” on the video and has advocated for overthrow of the government “by whatever means necessary” was removed in handcuffs and charged with possession of hallucinogenic mushrooms while possessing a firearm, according to court papers. His housemates allege that they were mistreated by police, who they say used too much force.

Park Police Lt. Pamela Smith said the agency has “chosen not to respond” to those allegations because of the ongoing investigation. Park Police also would not comment on the roommates’ characterization of what happened inside the home. It was unclear if charges would be filed related to the July 4 video on YouTube.

Smith would say only that her agency executed a search warrant at a Snowflake Court home about 7:45 p.m. Tuesday, looking for an unspecified weapon... [Washington Post]

Adam's girlfriend was there and wrote a short post about the arrest on her fb:

"Just got raided by the Feds dressed in swat gear, with helicopters, armored vehicles and a fuck ton of dictatorial peons who call themselves "enforcers" of "the law." They broke in the door, threw a flash bang, detained all in the house with NO CHARGES and refused to produce a warrant until they left the house in CHAOS. Ya, gonna go ahead and say AMERICA IS A POLICE STATE and if you think you're free, it's pretty clear you're a slave. PEACE AND LOVE, NOT GUNS AND FORCE. Thx."

Went on to say in a later post:

"For some reason, getting an assault rifle with a laser pointed at my face (and seeing my bf in the same position) by a criminal cop makes me less scared of these cowardly government goons. I have spoken out and will continue to speak out, and getting manhandled and harassed by the state is only more motivation to do so."

I don't keep up with Adam's website or anything, but I know they are both diehard RP supporters and (she, at least) is an anarchist. [some articles I've read of hers are from RevoluTimes and Come Home America.] Most of her posts strike me as a little paranoid, but I guess if I were in these types of situations, I would be too.

Edited by mdegges

More on Adam & his charges:

In an exclusive jailhouse interview, Adam Kokesh denies any connection to the drugs. Here is part of the transcript of that interview with Kokesh: "If they found a stash of magic mushrooms in my house, they were not mine. ANY IDEA WHOSE THEY WERE, OR WHY THEY WERE IN YOUR HOUSE? I'm pretty confident that, whether or not they found anything, the full paper bags that [u.S. Park Police] brought into my house would insure that they had charges to bring against me. ARE YOU IMPLYING THAT THOSE DRUGS WERE PLANTED? Yes."

Kokesh, who has been arrested several times before by U.S. Park Police, says that agency has a "vendetta" against him, but he believes the evidence in the drug case is weak.

The former U.S. Marine who served in Iraq plans to someday bring his anti-government views before voters. "ARE YOU RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT? Yes sir, in 2020 on the platform of: orderly dissolution of the United States government. WHY IS THAT A GOOD IDEA? Why is having a federal government a good idea at this point?"

Adam Kokesh believes the U.S. military is more harmful than helpful to American security, and the government -- as a whole -- has burdened its citizenry with debt. [Fox]

Edited by mdegges

Jeez, he sounds more than a little paranoid, at least in conjunction with the video of himself loading a shotgun on the street practically implying some sort of violent activity with his statements (I linked it earlier). Very shady guy, even if he didn't mean to imply it. I saw some of Adam vs. The Man before, he seemed alright on the show, but not anymore.

Edited by Eiuol

Then you're getting your news from the propaganda arm of the Putin regime. Last time I checked, Vladimir Putin wasn't a Libertarian.

Sounds like a baby and bathwater problem. Russia Today has given voice to many libertarian and other similar viewpoints. Though while not perfect in its structure and funding, I don't see a problem with Brook going on the Adam Vs. the Man Show to discuss objectivism. Hell, he's gone to speak at government funded universities before. 

Sounds like a baby and bathwater problem. Russia Today has given voice to many libertarian and other similar viewpoints. Though while not perfect in its structure and funding, I don't see a problem with Brook going on the Adam Vs. the Man Show to discuss objectivism. Hell, he's gone to speak at government funded universities before.

Not any that are funded by foreign dictators for the purpose of spreading anti-American propaganda.

Not any that are funded by foreign dictators for the purpose of spreading anti-American propaganda.

Well, he could just appear on the Adam Vs. The Man youtube channel, not the RT show (I'm not even sure if it still appears on RT anymore anyway). So focusing on Russia Today is a bit of a sidetrack from the main topic in the OP. 

Anyway, I spread an "anti-American" message to the extent that current American policy and law is anti-freedom and anti-Objectivism. I hope you don't unblinkingly defend and support American policy no matter what laws or politics or policy our leaders produce, do you?

And like I said, I don't watch RT very much at all, but the little I have watched has been very pro libertarian and pro-American in the sense of supporting smaller government views. I mean look at Adam vs. The Man as an example. Here's a show hosted by a guy who is an anarcho-capitalist, who doesn't even want any kind of government at all except what can be had on a free market. He definitely isn't giving out pro Russian or pro Putin propaganda. 

But once again, focusing on RT is aside from the point here, and not even necessary since he has a youtube channel apart from RT anyway. 

People like Adam Kokesh are the worst thing that could happen to any movement that attempts to promote reason and freedom in American society.

His ideas, attitude and behavior do nothing to communicate a rational ideology, and everything to reinforce the belief that Libertarians are a collection of mindless idiots.

Hope that clarifies my position on the matter.

Edited by Nicky

People like Adam Kokesh are the worst thing that could happen to any movement that attempts to promote reason and freedom in American society.

His ideas, attitude and behavior do nothing to communicate a rational ideology, and everything to reinforce the belief that Libertarians are a collection of mindless idiots.

Hope that clarifies my position on the matter.

That's exactly why I'd love to see Yaron Brook on his show to explain a better position. Adam, for any of his faults, does seem like a nice guy who will at least dialogue with people.

It just seems like you are jumping around from topic to topic, from criticizing Russia Today to Adam Kokesh, without really addressing the idea posted in the OP, of having someone like Brook appear on his show. I guess your position is that Adam Kokesh and his show (and Russia Today) are all too vile for an objectivist to appear on and voice objectivist ideas. And I guess I just disagree with you. I'd be far less likely to appear on a Phil Donahue show than Adam Kokesh's show. 

I guess your position is that Adam Kokesh and his show (and Russia Today) are all too vile for an objectivist to appear on and voice objectivist ideas. And I guess I just disagree with you.

What do you disagree with. Do you consider Kokesh's ideas, attitude or actions rational in any way?

And I guess I just disagree with you. I'd be far less likely to appear on a Phil Donahue show than Adam Kokesh's show.

Well, I can list a number of ways in which Phil Donahue is more rational than Adam Kokesh: Phil Donahue never had to be told the phrase "hallucinogens and drugs, let's keep them apart" by a judge; he never called for a revolution to disband the federal government; he never organized an armed march on Washington; he never posted videos of himself breaking federal laws; he has always been able to protest peacefully when he chose to exercise his right to protest, etc.

And, of course, Phil Donahue is a competent talk show host, with an illustrious career, throughout which he had an audience by orders of magnitude greater than Kokesh.

And, most importantly, Phil Donahue isn't an anarchist who is opposed to the foundation of civilization: government.

So now it's your turn to justify your opinion: in what ways is Adam Kokesh more rational or competent than Phil Donahue?