Objectivism Online Forum

Penn point - Atlas Shrugged

Rate this topic

d'Anconia

I saw this video. I felt that, although his praise of Ayn Rand was a nice change, I can't help but feel he doesn't fully understand Ayn Rand's philosophy. Ayn Rand was against the notion that helping people is a primary virtue, and I hope he doesn't get turned off by Objectivism by the time he understands it for what it is.

But what crude video did he do about her?

I thumbed-up the video. He was basically saying "Maybe they are" to the cultish thing, in a way that tells me he was just admitting he doesn't know. He seems to really have nothing against Ayn Rand and everything he's said about her seems to show that he likes her but admits that he doesn't know a lot about her. At least that's how I interpret it. I'm really optimistic about the guy now.

I find "capitalism" a much more inflammatory word, than Ayn Rand, because nearly everyone I encounter does not know who she is, but think they know what capitalism is. People will once in a while ask, "What do you have tattoed on your hands?" I will say, when clenching my fists and sticking them out "This one says Ayn Rand" and this one is the Law of Identity "A is A" for short. They never heard of either before.

Online, I encounter much more opposition when mentioning anything that has to do with capitalism than with Ayn Rand, because many don't know who she is. And the ones that do know her and dislike her/her philosophy, I find trying to discuss capitilist viewpoints it's better to try to leave Rand out of it as much as one can, you can get further, I think, at least in my experience. My ex-wife would DEFINATELY become inflamed at any mention of Rand or anything that had to do with that "fucking philosophy" of mine. She changed a LOT once my daughter was born, backed out of several argreements we had in regards to my daughters well being. Hence the "ex-wife" title that she earned herself...

But what crude video did he do about her?

Well, you asked for it...

I thumbed-up the video. He was basically saying "Maybe they are" to the cultish thing, in a way that tells me he was just admitting he doesn't know. He seems to really have nothing against Ayn Rand and everything he's said about her seems to show that he likes her but admits that he doesn't know a lot about her. At least that's how I interpret it. I'm really optimistic about the guy now.

((Yes this is why I didn't thumb it up))

But I didn't think about the option that he didn't know and that that's what he sincerely meant.

Edited by d'Anconia

• 4 weeks later...