Objectivism Online Forum

Insider trading is evil!

Rate this topic

aequalsa

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/may/25/house-members-stock-market-success-questioned/

"Strict laws ban corporate executives from trading on their insider knowledge, but no restrictions exist for members of Congress. Lawmakers are permitted to keep their holdings and trade shares on the market, as well as vote on legislation that could affect their portfolio values."

which leads to

"investments of members of the House of Representatives outperformed those of the average investor by 55 basis points per month, or 6 percent annually"

I know their mostly a pack of unprincipled, hypocritical shit bags and I shouldn't be surprised but sometimes their behavior leaves me choking on my own vomit.

Members of Congress should be made to move all their holdings into some type of blind trust. In fact, as long as they hold so much influence over corporations, I'd be in favor of forcing them to give up all equity and equity-linked investments and stick with bonds for the duration of their terms and a couple of years beyond.

Members of Congress should be made to move all their holdings into some type of blind trust. In fact, as long as they hold so much influence over corporations, I'd be in favor of forcing them to give up all equity and equity-linked investments and stick with bonds for the duration of their terms and a couple of years beyond.

If I had my way I'd go even further with the draconian measures by applying to them the same rules that they apply to corporate heads. Apply it not just to them but to all of their family and acquaintances..."Or have we found angels in the form of kings to govern him?"

• 1 month later...

Politicans are the biggest scoundrels on the planet who only know how to win the popularity contest. This is probably like .5% of all the fucked up things they do. Things like these always infuriate me and is the reason why I am really starting to hate the government.

In the end I blame the masses for letting these type of things happen. Most people have this 'Well thats just the ways things are, what can we do..?' mentality.