Objectivism Online Forum

Obama Signs Patriot Act from Europe

Rate this topic

CapitalistSwine

Obama signed a 4-year extension of the Patriot Act last night. He is currently in France, the White House said the president would use an autopen machine that holds a pen and signs his actual signature. It is only used with proper authorization of the president. Minutes before the midnight deadline, the White House said Obama had signed the bill.

The Senate voted 72-23 for the legislation to renew three terrorism-fighting authorities. The House passed the measure 250-153 on an evening vote.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/27/patriot-act-extension-signed-obama-autopen_n_867851.html

The sad thing is, a lot of the Democrats in the comment section said that this was pretty much the nail in the coffin for them not to vote for Obama in 2012, but most of them are saying that they will have to anyways because the Republican field of nominees is such a pathetic disgrace. I hate this party system.

Edited by CapitalistSwine

Even if the republican field were not a disgrace, they would be as far as the dems are concerned. So basically threats on their part not to vote for the Democratic presidential nominee are empty.

I would agree in the case of the majority, however I know several very hardcore Democrats that have already told me they will be voting Republican this time, but that they had to really mull it over, and that they would have more likely decided to sooner if the Republicans field wasn't so awful. I think that was what he was getting at.