Objectivism Online Forum

Extreme rough draft of a picture

Rate this topic

rdrdrdrd

Its dark palette and destructive imagery makes for a pretty downer overall effect. I also don't think there's a good visual connection between the Towers attack and the Rockefeller Atlas. I could come up with some connection, but it's not obvious in the image itself.

What's your purpose in making this collage?

I was bored one day, and decided to make a collage using images I found interesting or inspiring, I had a feeling that the dark colors and background imagery would make it harder for me to display the kind of image I wished. Do you have any background replacement ideas?

:) That's like asking if there is an internet I could look through! Or, can I think?

It is literally endless what you could put in the background, limited only by your own creativity. And that would be driven by your purpose, which is why I asked. Is this to be looked at on a computer desktop all day? Only when you need to be reminded of what freedom is fighting against? Are you sending it as a Christmas card? And so on...

Edited by JASKN

:) That's like asking if there is an internet I could look through! Or, can I think?

It is literally endless what you could put in the background, limited only by your own creativity. And that would be driven by your purpose, which is why I asked. Is this to be looked at on a computer desktop all day? Only when you need to be reminded of what freedom is fighting against? Are you sending it as a Christmas card? And so on...

Oh thats what you meant by purpose, I feel like it has evolved from just a quick collage to more of an inspirational picture just to have around for a desktop as well as for possibly printing it to hang on the wall. I think I may add some more inspirational vistas for the background to replace the stirring ones, such as a bridge or dam.

It looks like you do have some kind of intended message here and what you've said has implied as much. Some things could probably be done to make the idea clearer. I can make out "hope" and "peace" on the statue fairly well enough and "freedom" if I flip my laptop, but the other word or two I can't make out. I think if you tell us what the idea is behind juxtaposing these images specifically, we can come up with better suggestions.

I didn't begin with an intended message, but I followed my inspiration. The words are patriotic: Hope, Prosperity, Peace, Freedom, and Liberty. I guess it evolved into "America is the Atlas that holds our modern ideals up". I feel like the background images should be more positive, less somber.

• 1 month later...

The image as is seems like it wants to associate the Atlas statue with the Towers attack.

I don't associate anything positive with the Towers attack, and the image makes me think the intended message is to associate Rand/capitalism with destruction, evil, etc.

Edited by iwctrl