Objectivism Online Forum

Conscription

Rate this topic

Kjetil

What about a hypothetical situation in which the US is attacked in the second world war, and no draft is legislated. There is a volunteer army, supported by the taxes of everyone. (I think it is relevant to notice that the people who take a risk of being killed are those who volunteer ).

Does a free-rider problem exist in such a case? Is it moral for a person not to volunteer?

Edited by samr

What about a hypothetical situation in which the US is attacked in the second world war, and no draft is legislated. There is a volunteer army, supported by the taxes of everyone. (I think it is relevant to notice that the people who take a risk of being killed are those who volunteer ).

Does a free-rider problem exist in such a case? Is it moral for a person not to volunteer?

It can certainly be moral for a person not to volunteer. Only the individual knows whether he can best protect his values by serving in the military or remaining at home. It depends on his context, skills, weaknesses, and value hierarchy.

Suppose that an armageddon like scenario would happen, and a meteorite would threaten earth. Do you think it would be moral for the governments to _force_ people to go to space and destroy that astroid?

In case no "astroid conscription" would be enforced by the government, I would argue (for the sake of the argument) that a person that doesn't try and go to space to destroy the asteroid acts necessarily imorally since he lives on the account of other people, relies on them to do the work for him.

P.S.

Edited by samr