Objectivism Online Forum

AS Question: Where to find

Does anyone remember the page or chapter when one of the villains, it might be James Taggart, is complaining that the producers are producing and moving too quickly and that they (the government) need time to figure out how to regulate them appropriately? (Come to think of it, it might have been Orren Boyle who was complaining that he couldn't keep up with Rearden).

Paraphrasing, he says something to the effect of: "Why can't they just stand still? We just need them to stand still for a moment!"

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc

Part 2, Chapter 6. In one of her talks, I think it was The Moratorium on Brains from the early 70's, she read the line as part of the talk, I think it was how she opened the talk. The one on price controls.

BTW, it's Mouch talking, here's the whole thing:

"The picture now is this," said Wesley Mouch. "The economic condition of the country was better the year before last than it was last year, and last year it was better than it is at present. It's obvious that we would not be able to survive another year of the same progression.

Therefore, our sole objective must now be to hold the line. To stand still in order to catch our stride. To achieve total stability. Freedom has been given a chance and has failed. Therefore, more stringent controls are necessary. Since men are unable and unwilling to solve their problems voluntarily, they must be forced to do it." He paused, picked up the sheet of paper, then added in a less formal tone of voice, "Hell, what it comes down to is that we can manage to exist as and where we are, but we can't afford to move! So we've got to stand still. We've got to stand still. We've got to make those bastards stand still!"

Edited by Ninth Doctor

Part 2, Chapter 6. In one of her talks, I think it was The Moratorium on Brains from the early 70's, she read the line as part of the talk, I think it was how she opened the talk. The one on price controls.

I just double checked this, and I was right. Here's a link:

http://arc-tv.com/the-moratorium-on-brains/

Zap to about 30 seconds in.