Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivist tour of New York

Rate this topic

Well, it really depends on how long you're going to be in NY.

However, some cool things to do that I can think of off the top of my head:

1. Visit the Empire State Building - incredible view and building.

2. Take the South ferry to Staten Island and back. For $2 (or a free transfer from the train you take to get there) you get a stunning view of downtown, an alright view of the Statue of Liberty and just a pleasant boat ride. The best view is right when you push off of Manhattan.

3. Walk around (my personal favorite). No kidding - if you've never been to NYC, just spend some time walking around the city. Good places (when it's not too crowded, which depends on when you go): Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Downtown (City hall, South St. Seaport, WTC site, Battery Park).

4. At night, walk halfway over the Brooklyn bridge - incredible view of downtown and around the pillars they have plaques describing how the bridge was originally made. Make sure to bring comfortable walking shoes. ;)

5. Metropolitan Museum of Art - you could spend a month here.

6. Museum of Natural History- life size animal displays (the blue whale is pretty cool), dinosaur bones (very cool), Hayden planetarium and the surrounding section on the nature of the universe.

7. If you come late Spring, Summer, or early Fall, spend a day in central park.

8. Get the best pizza in NYC - John's Pizzeria in Greenwhich village. Mmmmm.

9. Go to a broadway show/ballet/orchestra performance. These are always fun.

That's all I can think of right now. Believe me, if you have money and time, there are too many things to do in one vacation.

Oh yes, you should also check www.nyu.edu/clubs/objectivist to see if our club (the Objectivist Club @ NYU) has any events open to the public when you're here. :)

I was just in NYC last September. Amazing city! I second Walker’s suggestions, with the exception of the Pizzeria (as I have never been there). If you like Italian food, I would recommend finding a nice Italian restaurant in Little Italy.

Also, if you have the cash, eat dinner at the Rainbow Room 60+ floors up in the Rockefeller building. The food is good and the view of Manhattan is fantastic! While you’re there check out the statue of Atlas in front of the building.

And go to Grand Central Station. It reminded me of Atlas Shrugged and the Taggart Terminal when I saw it. If you have time take a look at the Chrysler Building as it’s in the same area.

I almost forgot Wall Street. Worth taking a look at, too!

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

I've booked the flight and the hotel. I've applied for a brand new passport. I'll be in New York first week of march. I'm looking forward to trying out your suggestions, especially the Italian restaurant.

You are very welcome. I hope you enjoy your trip!