Objectivism Online Forum

Performance Update

Rate this topic

"Website Currently Unavailable

The website you are trying to access is currently unavailable. Please try again at a later time.

If you are the site owner, review the following resource to help resolve the issue."

A CLOUD FLARE issue with viewing seemingly random pages on the forum. The message mentions Cloud Flare specifically ( via an image, so it is more difficult to quote that part), so it seems the Cloud Flare is in some way involved in the problems *I* have been having lately ( granted they are not all that severe, and a reload seems to do the trick every time so far).

I do not know much about this service ( sounds like it would be a great thing if it worked as intended), and I cannot find many people dissatisfied with it in any way or whom talk about serious issues with it ( apart from the fact that not all hosting services like this service), but I did find this :

"Cloudflare’s caching feature is pretty good but like all caching mechanisms; takes a bit more care and understanding as it can cause problems which can be difficult to diagnose. For example whenever you want to edit the rewrite rules in apache’s .htaccess you should disable cloudflare temporarily by going into development mode because cloudflare actually caches rewrite redirects so you may be confused why your .htaccess changes are not working properly. The caching service may also experience problems which can cause slower speeds and other misc errors which may require you to disable it in the cloudflare web interface. They even cache pages for offline browsing but seem to work only on the front page and rarely on other pages. This takes 3 days or more." ( full thing here : http://myvpsbox.com/misc/cloudflare-review/ ).

It would seem to suggest that there is certainly the possibility for this service to create unexpected issues, at least if relies on Apache and their .htaccess file is not set up to play nice with the service. All of this leads me to conclude that this service could quite possibly be causing these errors and the ones mentioned on the other site ( even though they are script errors).

Edited by Prometheus98876

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having bad issues with this site ever since the switch to Cloudflare. Half of the time when I try to load a page on this site, I get a "Connection Reset" page in Firefox. And even when the site does successfully load, the main page is consistently broken, with the main content replaced by error messages. Here is a screenshot.

post-6641-0-51171400-1310969731_thumb.pn

I reduced the color palette to make the image smaller. Otherwise it is what I see whenever I (successfully) load the main page.

Edited by Amaroq

Yeah, I have been getting essentially the same thing that Amaroq reports as of late ( the last couple of days anyway). Though I have had less of the other sorts of errors which I mentioned earlier ( could just be that I am not looking through the forums and the problem has not manifested of late). I would agree with Eiuol and his implication that otherwise the change does not seem to have any other effect , not anything in the way of performance that or the other users I have spoken to have noticed ( even though I gather CF has worked wonders on many, many other websites. Though I have to wonder how many of those used Joomla/IP Board software...).

The initial script error usually repeats itself about 3 to 4 times followed by multiple memory errors on various line numbers of about 4 - 20 times, if the tab resets itself, repeat. Replying in the forum section does not display the shortcut icons for 'quote', 'indent', 'link', 'text options', etc. Going to a preview page will sometimes result in a tab reset which repeats the process, often bringing up the "recent forum posts" rather than the preview of the text (which is lost) for final consideration. This started around the first weekend of July.

The initial script error usually repeats itself about 3 to 4 times followed by multiple memory errors on various line numbers of about 4 - 20 times, if the tab resets itself, repeat. Replying in the forum section does not display the shortcut icons for 'quote', 'indent', 'link', 'text options', etc. Going to a preview page will sometimes result in a tab reset which repeats the process, often bringing up the "recent forum posts" rather than the preview of the text (which is lost) for final consideration. This started around the first weekend of July.

Under the Tools pulldown menu on I.E. 8 is an option called "Compatibility View". After toggling it so the check mark appears next to it, restarted I.E. and all appears to be functioning as expected.

Do we have a user called Felipe which we can use as a scapegoat for all the CF errors? :P I remember someone way back in 2005 ( woah I have been here for a long time) with a simiilar username...might have been Felix though.

But seriously : These CF issues are getting REALLY frequent for me now. I get one about one third to half the time I try to load a page at these days. Especially when I come back to the site after navigating away from it for any length of time. I think it is time to seriously consider the fact that CF was a *bad* idea and to accept that it is doing little if anything to help and *far* more harm than good. Especially since the error Amaroq screenshotted seems as though it could be caused by CF as well...

I dont know if this is related or if anyone else has noticed this : But during the last twenty-four hours or so I have had * a lot * of instances of the browser claiming disconnection from the site. Especially while looking at longer threads ( longer being those with say more than 100 posts). It is so bad that at one point I had to type up a reply in Notepad because it kept disconnecting me while attempting to type up a relatively short reply...

Well, the disconnection issues have not manifested yet, so that might be a good sign. The other error ( the page not found thing ) is infrequent at times, so might not manifest itself till later. However, the stfuff in the screenshot Amaroq took still applies on my end....so I guess that was not anything to do with CF .

It would be a shame if CF had to stay disabled. It seems as though it had has such potential and though it should help things. I wonder how/why it may have caused some of these issues...

I've disabled CloudFlare as a test. Is it better now?

I'll let you know if any errors occur while CloudFlare is disabled. None yet, but they happen infrequently for me.

Yeah, the problem Amaroq refers to finally seems to be fixed somehow. I have not had the CF message so far ( sometimes it does not show up for a while), but i have just started having a few disconnection issues again, though not as bad as they have been in the past.