Objectivism Online Forum

Everything Dies

Rate this topic

WeDontNeedGod

Blue sat on the cold ground, propped up by a tombstone that was streaked with greenish grey mold. His expressionless face stared out past the cemetery. Still dark clouds were smeared low across the sky, blurring the lines between everything. The cemetery spread out down a hill and lead into the city below. Blue couldn’t tell the difference between the graveyard and the city in the fog.The skyline stood as a graveyard, with each building a tombstone to a stillborn idea.

“Is there a difference?” he stood up and walked slowly among the rows of headstones. He paused at one that had lived and died some hundred years before he had even been born. The name and dates told him nothing beyond that fact. The person had lived to be seventy two years old. A whole life, he thought. This person had been born, gone to school, had lovers, owned houses and cars. He had been loved and hated. A whole life time worth of memories and events, and people. Now it was all forgotten and unknown to anyone. All that remained of an entire life is this stone, with a name and date.

Blue’s long ears drooped. He suddenly thought how beautiful the old grey stone would look with his bloody brains splashed across it. He stood staring into the distance with that vision in his head, then abruptly moved on. He stopped when he reached a small, plain, black, marble tombstone. It belonged to a boy who was born dead on the same day that Blue had been born. Blue felt a sort of twisted kinship with the stillborn and thought they were very much alike. He thought how lucky it is to die without ever having had the pain of living.

Blue continued on past tombstone after tombstone. He looked at how random the ages were. Sixteen, 73, 35, 3 months. No matter what you do, what kind of person you are, what kind of life you live, this is how everyone ends up. How can anything matter when natures goal for you is to to be rotting underground in a wooden box. All of mans aspirations and aims are futile in light of natures ultimate destiny. People spend millions on makeup, gyms and diets, but in the end they succumb to wrinkles, hair loss, sagging flesh, bulging veins. You lose your sight, your hearing and you die alone in the dark, silence.

People spend decades on school, college and work place education to reach the point where they can’t remember their children’s names or how to take a shit by themselves. What’s the use in falling in love only to watch everything you loved about the person drain away with the years and leave you alone in the end anyways. Why go through the trouble, he thought. “What is the point of struggling and fighting when there is nothing to gain?”

There is nothing anyone can do to stop it. All of man knowledge and ability, science, medicine and technology are powerless before entropy and death. People call life a rat race, like it is a game. What is the purpose of a game you can never win? Frustration and disappointment and a sense of helplessness.

That is what Blue was thinking when it started to rain. He shivered as the small, cold drops rolled down his ears. He sighed in bitter resignation as he turned and walked with his head hung low toward a mausoleum.

Cassius was laying flat on her back on top of a huge marble slab, one bare foot hanging lazily over the edge. She had pushed the skeleton from its rightful spot and was now resting her black haired head on the grinning skull. You have a lot to be happy about, she thought.

This mousoleum belonged to a young couple who had been burned alive in a car wreck on their wedding day. Cassius stared at the looming stone ceiling, half dazed while she idy fingered herself. She had been trying to get off, but she had grown bored and was quickly losing interest. Besides, she kept thinking of being burned alive and whether or not that would be worse than drowning to death. It depends on what you drown in, she concluded.

That is what Cassius was thinking of when Blue walked into the cold tomb, soaking wet. He smiled warily when he saw her and sat on the edge of her not-so-final resting place, his legs dangling off the side. Cassius’s ears perked up and she laid he head in Blue’s lap. He slowly ran his long fingers through her short black hair and over her ears. He did this absently, his mind preoccupied. At that moment he was thinking of when a baby bird tries to fly for the first time and it falls to the unforgiving earth, breaking every bone it its fragile little body. While he thought of that, Cassius unbuttoned and unzipped his pants.

When Blue finally realized what the rabbit was doing he sighed, “Cassius, I really don’t feel like doing anything,”

“So?” she said, sitting up and stuck out her bottom lip in a pouty frown, the next moment she smiled mischievously.

She pushed him onto his back and hopped on top of him, straddling his body. Blue looked away and sighed, but put his hands on her thin hips. Cassius looked at his distant, lifeless expression and wondered for a moment as she felt her cunt grow wet, why she liked to do this so much with Blue when it was obvious that he didn’t want to. Well, she thought – that is the reason, I guess.

The rabbit leaned down, putting her face close to his and rested her two fingers on his lips. They still smelled of her – to Blue it was a warm and familiar, like a tattered stuffed animal that manged to survive pass childhood. Cassius slid her finger’s into his mouth and began slowly pushing them in and out while breathing heavily into his ear.

“You like that, don’t you little boy?” she said slyly.

Blue had closed his eyes, resigned to his fate as a living masturbation toy. He slid his hands up her thin shirt onto her flat stomach and then onto her small breasts. She laughed at the mixed look on his face of torture and pleasure as she felt him grow hard beneath her ass, despite his protests. She began to rock her eager body against his hard cock and traced long pink lines down his chest with her sharp nails. Blue bit down on his bottom lip and opened his eyes. She took her fingers out of his mouth.

“That always works, you little slut,” she said, Blue smiled sheepishly and shrugged as she pulled off her pants and threw them, rattling some dusty bones nearby. An expression of horror dominated Blue’s face as he noticed the grinning skull of the doomed bride and remembered what this place was.

He was speechless, but he tried to fight his way from underneath the insane rabbit. She grinned from ear to long pointed ear at the look on his face and she pushed down on him, forcing his still hard cock inside of her dripping hole. She shuddered as it slid in easily, touching ever part. Blue closed his eyes again and tried to focus on the warm, wet, slippery sensation between his legs. Cassius started to rock against him, sliding him all the way in her and all the way out, over and over. She licked his closed mouth then bit down viciously on his lip, filling her mouth with the taste of old pennies.

Blue moaned along and help her hips as she moved up and down. He looked up at Cassius’s face, she had her head leaned back and she was smiling – the kind of grin one gets from destroying something you love. He felt her body tense, the muscles contracting around his dick, felt like a million snakes coiled around it. She pulled a handful of his messy light brown hair and shoved her body down as hard as she could as she came on him. Blue laid back expectantly while she laid still for a moment. Then she sat up smiling maliciously as she pulled herself off his glistening, unsatisfied cock.

“You didn’t want to do it anyways, right?” she said spitefully. Blue started to object as she pulled her pants on but knew it was useless to try and fight her. Besides he was thinking of how a parasite numbs you when it bites.

What the hell is this? I am sure I am not the only one that is thinking this , but I am going to say it : This is scary stuff (definitely not in a good way ). I think you might need to get some help. Actually, I am wondering why you think we might want to read this. I would be surprised if any worthy users of this forum would want to.

Edited by Prometheus98876

It has a totally negative vibe and the whole sex and masturbation in a graveyard thing is distrubing.

Yeah, it is a negative vibe; there's nothing bad about that per se. Although, it is true, kind of an unusual place to post fiction like this here. "Negative" writing I can appreciate (such as writing about a variety of characters in Atlas Shrugged), but not exactly much of something expected to be popular on an Objectivism forum.

Well, while I grant that there might be some valid reason(s) to write a story from a negative point of view, presuming one has a specific purpose for doing so ( or of course presuming that this reflects ones "sense of life" or such), that is not the primary thing which bothers me in this instance. No, what bothers me the most is the actual subject matter and how it is used. And the possible implications of one choosing to use it in this fashion.

I certainly do have to wonder what the purpose of posting such a peice here of all places might be. Even if negative peices like this are not something I would usually enjoy, or have ever really found any pleasure in. Though having said that, a lot of my favorite fiction has some really "dark" scenes, though nothing of this nature as far as I recall.

The theme of the work is the consequences of bad philosophy.

"To me, the ambiguity worked well, but should have been resolved less ambiguously. If it can be resolved, it could be a piece of writing I'd like. "

This is just one piece in a (roughly) 15 chapter story. This is one of the first scenes. It there is more resolution toward the end.

"This is scary stuff (definitely not in a good way ). I think you might need to get some help."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Rand created the characters Toohey and Mooch, did she need help as well?

"but not exactly much of something expected to be popular on an Objectivism forum. "

Heh, what I did expect to be popular in Objectivist forums received no response. (all the work i did on the temple of the human spirit blog)

""This is scary stuff (definitely not in a good way ). I think you might need to get some help."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle"

Your point being what exactly?

Rand created the characters Toohey and Mooch, did she need help as well?

True, she did create those characters and obviously I would not accuse her of needing any help. However, that is because as nasty as those characters are, it is all to serve an obvious message and might I add in order to convey a sense of life which indicates a very healthy state of mind (along with a good understanding of evil and less healthy states of mind).

However, I can see no such "defense" (for lack of a better word at this point) for you doing what you have done here, which is really almost entirely a different matter to the manner in which Rand used the villians which you mentioned. While there may be reasons to write this stuff which may not give me reasons to worry (which is why I said you MIGHT need help, to allow such possibilities), I really cannot imagine what they might be. This is certainly stuff which is highly disturbing, and if I could see that it served some valid purpose (even if this purpose was not immediately obvious), I might be less inclined to think that you are simply trying to serve some valid purpose, and that this stuff is merely in aid of helping you make that point, as in the case of what Rand did (and what one of the other authors I mentioned does when he uses incredibly "dark" and "gory" scenes in his work, even though his work has a wonderful sense of life.

In any case, nothing she wrote is half as macabre or nasty as this seems to be at face value.

Very funny. But did it occur to you that judging from the fact that the original post got a negative rating (at least one such last I checked), and from the comments so far, that I may not be the only person that wishes you to try to explain what you were going for here. If you think it is clear as to why we should find any (much) value in this (as Objectivists) , it would seem that are quite badly mistaken. Perhaps you will enlighten those other people are confused?

Alright, I seem to have overlooked that line ..or perhaps I forgot to address it. But in any case : This seems like a pretty vague and terribly unclear way of expressing such a theme/point. I suppose one COULD get the idea that is what you were going for, but it seems that your intended message is far from clear. At least without you having to state that is what you were going for , in which case perhaps one could sort of see how it might related. But if one needs this sort of explanation for your intended message to be clear at all, I think it is a reasonable conclusion that your writing has been a failure , at least by the standards of clearly expressing a theme/message/idea.

Alright, I seem to have overlooked that line ..or perhaps I forgot to address it. But in any case : This seems like a pretty vague and terribly unclear way of expressing such a theme/point. I suppose one COULD get the idea that is what you were going for, but it seems that your intended message is far from clear. At least without you having to state that is what you were going for , in which case perhaps one could sort of see how it might related. But if one needs this sort of explanation for your intended message to be clear at all, I think it is a reasonable conclusion that your writing has been a failure , at least by the standards of clearly expressing a theme/message/idea.

You assume that clarity was my intention. It was not.

This is just one piece in a (roughly) 15 chapter story. This is one of the first scenes. It there is more resolution toward the end.
I see.

Heh, what I did expect to be popular in Objectivist forums received no response. (all the work i did on the temple of the human spirit blog)
Touché! That's not the only difference between this story and the "human spirit" pictures. The pictures might have inspiring themes, but to an Objectivist they're close to being bromides; while the story here could never be described as an Objectivist bromide.

What then was your intention? To express some theme/message/idea? I assumed so ( I dont think this was a bad assumption in the context of trying to post it here). If so, I would presume that the logical course of action would be to make this clear. If you were NOT trying to express such, then were you simply trying to express your sense of life? I would hope that this doesnt, else then I think it would be clear that there are issues. So what was the intention? What am I missing here?

I suppose it is possible that later chapters put this in some sort of proper context which is totally nonapparent here. But you didnt tell us that there was anything else until more recently. So obviously, we could not possibly have taken this into account ( though it does seem somewhat incomplete as it is ). In any case, without that further context, there seems to be nothing we can really gain from at this point ( unless we like it as it is). I would have waited until more was done and posted that too, maybe then this could be put into a better light and this debate would not be taking place.

Touché! That's not the only difference between this story and the "human spirit" pictures. The pictures might have inspiring themes, but to an Objectivist they're close to being bromides; while the story here could never be described as an Objectivist bromide.

I think you nailed it on the head there. I could not quite identify what it was that might prevent a lot of people responding as some might expect them (certainly as the OP seems to have expected them to). While I do not think that all of what he puts on there is too likely to be reasonably viewed as a bromide, I do think that at least some of it may be seen this way. Or perhaps even if not, people just do not feel the need to comment on it, as even if they do find it somewhat inspiring, they do not see that much needs be said.

You assume that clarity was my intention. It was not.

Then why would we want to read this? What value is it supposed to be to us if you were not trying to be clear?DO latter chapters clear things up? If so you should of said in the OP or in a reply to it that more chapters are to come so people wouldn't make such comments.

Edited by DragonMaci

What then was your intention? To express some theme/message/idea? I assumed so ( I dont think this was a bad assumption in the context of trying to post it here). If so, I would presume that the logical course of action would be to make this clear. If you were NOT trying to express such, then were you simply trying to express your sense of life? I would hope that this doesnt, else then I think it would be clear that there are issues. So what was the intention? What am I missing here?

Perhaps you are missing that a novel can be simultaneously naturalist and an excellent piece of writing. Ayn Rand alluded to this, and registered her respect for some naturalist writers. If an Objectivist has written this, one should assume he knows the premises of it. Also, let's face it, there is more high-quality naturalist art around than that of Romanticism, and me, - I think I owe it to myself to see all the art I can find, and make my own assessments.

Great writing, fine plot, (so far), strong characters; bleak sense of life.

One can 'take' something from it all.

Perhaps you are missing that a novel can be simultaneously naturalist and an excellent piece of writing. Ayn Rand alluded to this, and registered her respect for some naturalist writers. If an Objectivist has written this, one should assume he knows the premises of it. Also, let's face it, there is more high-quality naturalist art around than that of Romanticism, and me, - I think I owe it to myself to see all the art I can find, and make my own assessments.

Great writing, fine plot, (so far), strong characters; bleak sense of life.

One can 'take' something from it all.

1. It was never clear it was a novel til after he replied to comments made here (hence the edits me and Dwaynhe made to our posts to accomodate that and thus make our comments make more sense). 2. How were they "strong"? And what is "fine" about a plot with a depressed characte,r and a happy one maturburbating herself then tasking the depressed one when really they are totally incompatible? Especially when it is in a grave of all places, which is disturbing.

No, I am not missing this per se. If I thought that there was particular reason to assume it was intended to be naturalist ( though given it seems to have no clear message/theme, that might not have been a bad assumption , at least before it was claimed it had a theme) and also a good bit of writing, I might be willing to consider this. However, I see no redeeming aspect of this work whatsoever. Note that I did not presume for certain that it was meant to be a peice of art (had a theme or whatever), I just sort of assumed that it probably was meant to and that the OP probably did not wish to post naturalist stuff here.

What I am really trying to find out is why this is here at all / why it was posted or why we should care, even if that was intended as a naturalist peice.

"What then was your intention? To express some theme/message/idea?"

"Then why would we want to read this? What value is it supposed to be to us if you were not trying to be clear?DO latter chapters clear things up? If so you should of said in the OP or in a reply to it that more chapters are to come so people wouldn't make such comments. "

Figure it out. You are supposed to be smart people. There should be no reason for me to state explicitly, what should be obvious though the story. If you don't get it, oh well. Everything that is needed to figure it out is there.

Yeah, you are right : there should be no such need to do that. That is why you are meant to write it so that it is clear in the first place. However it is NOT clear ( and I know for a fact that it is not just me and Kane, but other people we have spoken to ) so the failure is yours, or so it would seem. However obviously you are not going to tell anyone here ( or at least not us), so this entire thread seems to have become rather null and void.

Figure it out. You are supposed to be smart people. There should be no reason for me to state explicitly, what should be obvious though the story. If you don't get it, oh well. Everything that is needed to figure it out is there.

Everything? Obvious? Hardly. What in it makes it obvious that more chapters are to come? Nothing as far as I can tell. What in it suggests anything other than a sick so-called happy person having sex with a depressed person in a grave? Nothing at all. You are seeing things through the eye of the author alone, not the reader.

Addition: You need to be able to look through the eyes of a reader not just an author to write good stories.

Edited by DragonMaci

Addition: You need to be able to look through the eyes of a reader not just an author to write good stories.

This is indeed a rather good point, even if this is perhaps not the thing that the OP is guilty of (though I would be inclinede to agree that it would seem to be). As far as I can tell, a lot of prospective writers are guilty of this error and it hinders them from fully realizing what the READER will get from it, as opposed to how the writer sees it. Two clearly different things, as obviously the writers knows many things which the reader has to infer from the writers delivery.

Like I said: You dont get it. Oh well. This piece happens to be getting great reviews on twitter and the adult fan fic site (four and half stars out of five with 700 votes). I have no desire to to discuss it further with those who are known for being intentionally obtuse. Thanks for replying though.