Objectivism Online Forum

My belated introduction

Rate this topic

I misremembered apparently that I had made my introduction.

I am 62, long retired, and an intellectual-wannabe. I have re-read AS and Galt's speech but only recently engaged Rand's non-fiction and Objectivism's secondary literature, Peikoff, Harriman, S. R. C. Hicks (I particularly appreciate Hicks).

I have been a conservative polemicist but struggled with the distance from libertarianism. Objectivism seems to ease my mind on that account but then requires reevaluation of my Platonism. So I have lots of thinking, study and reconsideration - and late in life, maybe too late in life.

I retired from federal civil service as a nuclear engineering technician (position) shift test engineer (title equivalent to private industry "start up engineer"). I have on the job training said to be equivalent to a postgraduate degree http://www.navsea.navy.mil/shipyards/norfolk/nnsy/NuclearTED.aspx I was educated during the testing era with +4 s.d. evaluations.

Ten years after retirement I married and moved to my isolated and rural Island with 800 neighbors.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I do not think that it is all that likely that it is too late for you. Sure one can pick up a lot of bad thinking habits which can make it very hard to learn to think better later on ( I am speaking of people in general here, not your case), but unless it is REALLY bad, then as long as ones brain is in reasonable physical shape, one should be able to cope ( albiet with some difficulty perhaps). Or of course, if one becomesd used to not thinking much at all. I would haphazard that given the line of work you said you were in, you probably kept yourself reasonably mental condition, so I doubt you have too much to worry about the latter, if my presumption is correct.

Hello and welcome to the forum. :) It's quite admirable actually that you're still willing to reexamine and evaluate your ideas even well into retirement. Most people seem to unfortunately stop asking questions not long past 30. Sounds like you had quite an interesting job.

Hello neighbor. It is a great place to live!

There are plenty of challenges peculiar to the Island, and plenty that come across 'the Door.' If I could just shield the Island from the world, if we could just vote the moochers and looters off, then maybe Rand's Utopia becomes possible.