Objectivism Online Forum

Objective Law

Rate this topic

fanofayn

As a philosophy major on her way to law school, I am extremely interested in studying objective law. However, I find myself in a resource-drought. I cannot find any discussions of or extensive materials on the subject. All I can find are brief mentions of law as it should be in Rand essays. Does anyone know where I can find more information on this subject?!

Amy Peikoff has a PhD and a JD, and has a specialization in philosophy of law and IP (but I don't know what is on her CV). Tara Smith at UT Austin also has a specialization in jurisprudence. While not Objectivist law, I think Scalia's "Common-Law Courts in a Civil-Law System: The Role of United States Federal Courts in Interpreting the Constitution and Laws" is important, since as essential aspect of objective law is that laws are to be interpreted according to objective principles.

That's a really big field.

General principles about objective law? There's a tape at aynrandbookstore.com called "Objective Law," but it's not that long and doesn't really contain anything I can remember that was revolutionary or that you can't get elsewhere in the literature.

Or, are you looking for historical analysis of laws? There are lots of books on specific fields, detailing a free market system or showing problems with non-objective laws. Last summer, for instance, I picked up a book from the library called "Free Banking: Theory, History, and a Laissez-Faire Model," by Larry J. Sechrest. When I got home I saw the dedication was to Ayn Rand, Murray Rothbard, and F.A. Hayek ("For the inspiration"). I haven't much past the first couple chapters (it wasn't really what I was looking for), but I know from perusing my school's library that there's lots of economic/political-oriented books that deal with historical laws and freedom, and their practical results. You can get a lot of factual information and see the results of different types of laws from there, I'm sure.

Or, perhaps, something more philosophical? I have no advice there, as I haven't really pursued it.

• 5 months later...
As a philosophy major on her way to law school, I am extremely interested in studying objective law.  However, I find myself in a resource-drought.  I cannot find any discussions of or extensive materials on the subject.  All I can find are brief mentions of law as it should be in Rand essays.  Does anyone know where I can find more information on this subject?!

http://www.intellectualactivist.com/php-bi...&product_id=283

"What is Objective Law?" by Harry Binswanger