Objectivism Online Forum

The Dark Knight Rises

Rate this topic

Well, that was thoroughly unsatisfying. I was hoping for some actual Bane vs Bats action. I still have my fingers crossed that the movie imitates the comics, and has Bane break Bats' back. Hopefully any future trailers will be more exciting and inspiring.

Teasers aren't supposed to be satisfying. I'm just not so sure about this movie...the first two were good, in large part, because the villains were so cerebral. Bane is more of a blunt instrument. I also don't like the notion of Catwoman being in it, because that doesn't seem to jive with the more realistic mythos of the first two. However, based on his body of work up to this point, I'm willing to sit back and say: "In Christopher Nolan we trust."

Teasers aren't supposed to be satisfying. I'm just not so sure about this movie...the first two were good, in large part, because the villains were so cerebral. Bane is more of a blunt instrument. I also don't like the notion of Catwoman being in it, because that doesn't seem to jive with the more realistic mythos of the first two. However, based on his body of work up to this point, I'm willing to sit back and say: "In Christopher Nolan we trust."

1. Bane is arguably more cerebral than Joker. He also packs a punch. He is a genius whose intellect is unparalleled by anyone, including Batman's. He is his intellectual and physical better. He is a man with a mission in the comics as well, born a hispanic revolutionary.

2. How is Catwoman not realistic?

3.As for no Bane VS Bats action, did you not see the end? That in itself is satisfying.

Edited by TheEgoist

3.As for no Bane VS Bats action, did you not see the end? That in itself is satisfying.

I saw the end -- basically, Bats was shitting his pants. But that's not action, that's buildup. At least show the first lunge or something, you know?

1. Bane is arguably more cerebral than Joker. He also packs a punch. He is a genius whose intellect is unparalleled by anyone, including Batman's. He is his intellectual and physical better. He is a man with a mission in the comics as well, born a hispanic revolutionary.

A fair point. I haven't read any Batman comics since I was a kid, though I have recently made up my mind to start with Year One and work my way through the modern continuity of major Batman titles. I'm still on Shaman right now, so my mind might change when I become better acquainted with Bane.

2. How is Catwoman not realistic?

Maybe she is presented more realistically in the Frank Miller era. But the only depictions of her I have seen until now have been in the Michael Keaton continuity and the camp TV show from the 60's.

"Epic conclusion"??? I want, like, ten more sequels! Christopher Nolan should spend the next couple decades making only Batman movies. And then moving on to the other superheroes!

I'm all for this being the end. Few movie series are good beyond the third movie, and some are not even good after the first. Having 2 very solid Batman movies was an accomplishment, and I have faith in Christopher Nolan to produce a third. Part of being a good artist is knowing when to stop. Besides, whatever happened to the semi-sacred concept of the trilogy? Nowadays, every half-baked comic book character gets 4 successive movies, then a backstory movie, then the cycle starts all over again with a peripheral character.

Bane is more of a blunt instrument.

If your only exposure to Bane is his last live-action movie incarnation, I'm not surprised you think this. But like TheEgoist said, comic book Bane is one sharp crayon.

Edited by FeatherFall

I've had other exposure to Bane (that sounds kinda kinky), but it was a good 15 years ago. What I mostly remember about him is that he looked like he had lived his whole live on a strict diet of breast milk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bane_%28comics%29#Powers_and_abilities

Sounds like a potentially great villain to me.

• 3 weeks later...

While the teaser didn't excite me much, and neither has the early leaked images from the set I have faith in nolan.

The prestige and the Dark knight are two of my favorite movies ever.

I just hope the rumors that Collitard's role is really Talia prove true

• 4 months later...

A new trailer came out today, with a lot exposed about the movie's direction exposed.

I think the trailer is stunning. Bane looks creepy as hell. Selina/Catwoman looks like the perfect femme fatale.

This feels a lot more like a trailer for Inception than it does for the first two films of the series, which I think is good. It gives the experience such an epic feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yh6SriAjdE

• 3 months later...